Community discussions

MikroTik App

omkarads
just joined
Topic Author

Concurrency of SXT 2 and SXT 2 Lite

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:19 am

Hi,

I am planning to use SXT 2 for my upcoming Hotspot area. I just want to know how many concurrent users can connect to SXT2 and even for SXT2 Lite, so that I can plan my network accordingly.

Also suggest any Mikrotik 2.4GHz AP for Hotspot purpose which has a high concurrency user capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Omkar. :-)

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Concurrency of SXT 2 and SXT 2 Lite

Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:57 pm

There isn't a way to answer this because it depends on many things.

First the differance between sx2 and sxt 2 lite is that the transmit side of the unit is 500mw vs 1000mw. In my testing it made little to no differance in signal strenth reception by the clients. maybe 2db.

Just because you have an extra 2db signal strenth does not equate to more bandwidth, nor does it nessary mean more customers.

When does the sxt 2 work better you might ask? Well lets say you have clear line of sight to between two locations, no obsticals. And your link is say 7 miles away and your sxt2lite gives you a signal strenth of -80 and you trade them out and you move up to -78. That may help in delivering signal. But the other side of this is the quality of signal and you can view this using the ccq stat.

But first let me state that for signal strenth your going to be better off using better anteann's for increasing your signal strenth than you are by using more power.

Ok so for ccq, that has to do with alignment of your antenna's and whats in between them. Lets say your standing on the left side of a house and you stand on the ground and can see your tower on a mountain three miles away. However, there is a neighbor's house that sits real close to the line of site. See just because you can see the tower doesn't mean you can deliver good service because you may have blocked fresnel zone

So you want to either move the unit to the roof or perhaps to the other side of the house in order to have a betterl line of site and fresnel zone.

And as to how many clients can you serve? Well for me it seemds to depend on the overhall "health" of everyone on the AP.

I have some AP's that have 16 users on them and are slow, and I have others that have 40 users that are blazing fast. Reviewing the ccq's the 16 users show a ccq average of 40-50% and the 40 users show 80-90%.

Thers quite a bit more to this than just setting up equipment and pointing them at each other.

-Michael