Community discussions

MikroTik App

blougaville
Topic Author

client-to-client forwarding in CAPsMAN local forwarding mode

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:12 am

I understand that when using local forwarding mode the client-to-client forwarding on a interface is not set with CAPsMAN, but is controlled by the local CAP.

The manual suggests that client-to-client forwarding needs to be set on the CAP itself, but I can't figure out how to do this. The wireless interface in the CAP (managed by CAPsMAN, local forwarding mode) has default forward checked, but client-to-client forwarding on that interface is still not working.

raffav

Re: client-to-client forwarding in CAPsMAN local forwarding mode

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:43 pm

I understand that when using local forwarding mode the client-to-client forwarding on a interface is not set with CAPsMAN, but is controlled by the local CAP.

The manual suggests that client-to-client forwarding needs to be set on the CAP itself, but I can't figure out how to do this. The wireless interface in the CAP (managed by CAPsMAN, local forwarding mode) has default forward checked, but client-to-client forwarding on that interface is still not working.

Hello
i am getting the same problem,
in local forwarding mode, client -to-client is not workting i cant ping any device on the same vAP interface,

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 pm

As I know, you have to create and define a Bridge Interface on the CAP device
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raffav

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:43 pm

As I know, you have to create and define a Bridge Interface on the CAP device
but it is alredy set,

mk1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:26 am

Pfff... I've no idea :-(

blougaville
Topic Author

Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:35 am

Mikrotik, can you please chime in on this? Your documentation says it's possible but does not say how.

Also, I can't find any good real world examples of why you would use CAPsMAN in local forwarding mode vs manager forwarding mode. I am using CAPsMAN on a CCR in a school with 30+ CAPs and am currently using local forwarding mode. What factors should be considered when deciding between local forwarding mode and manager forwarding mode?

raffav

Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Mikrotik, can you please chime in on this? Your documentation says it's possible but does not say how.

Also, I can't find any good real world examples of why you would use CAPsMAN in local forwarding mode vs manager forwarding mode. I am using CAPsMAN on a CCR in a school with 30+ CAPs and am currently using local forwarding mode. What factors should be considered when deciding between local forwarding mode and manager forwarding mode?
Maybe the situation when the core router is not a mikrotik device (i.e Cisco )so you use the caps in local forward mode so the data go to the non mikrotik device and you use a less power mikrotik to manager the wifi settings in all in one place

And yes we need a example how to set client to client on local forwarding
There is no example on the Internet in this configuration

blougaville Maybe is better to open a support ticket ?

raffav

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:34 pm

Hello

i am still trying to find the solution for that

any one ?