Community discussions

MikroTik App

aacable
Topic Author

Dude Switch Port Monitor with Media converter always show up

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:59 am

Greetings,

I have configured DUDE to monitor my Cisco 3750 ports. Distribution layout is as follows.
switch.png
Now problem is that some times area1 or area2 un-managebale switch goes off, but the dude shows cisco 3750 port always UP because its connected with the media converter port which always remains ON.
So how can i monitor the area?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dude Switch Port Monitor with Media converter always show up

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:02 pm

You could monitor something past the unmanaged switch or buy a managed switch. Maybe move a wireless access point or some other device that is always on to the unmanaged switch to get the benefit of a managed device past the unmanaged device.

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi,

Since I do not know what media converters you are using, you need to see if they support LFP/LLP (they usually have DIP switches for this).

If this is the case, you can enable this feature to allow the 'fault' to pass through and therefore alert the Dude.

Look up LFP or 'Link fault Passthrough" for some more info.

Rgds,
Mark.

aacable
Topic Author

Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:12 am

@lebowski
The other end (unmanageable switch) is not under our control, we only provide there users dhcp and internet connectivity. so we cannot force them to always make any device powered on 24x7. our bad.
But maybe this is the only way ?

@siscom
Most of them are normal fiber to cat5 media converter, they have no dip switches in it.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:15 pm

Gsandul created a probe that would notify you if bandwidth on an interface dropped below a certain threshold. You can set that on the managed port and have it notify if the bandwidth is very low or none. Not the greatest solution but it is free.