Community discussions

MikroTik App

pachy
Topic Author

The Dude without windows

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:51 am

Hi everybody, I used dude on Windows, il liked it !
Now we need routerOs to use The dude, so I'm looking for the appropriate configuration for me to run the dude easily;)
I m a freelance guy in the sound, I m working on big show in Europe (events, concerts,...)
I design and manage audio and light network, with switches, ap, and specific devices...
An example
Sometimes I teach about audio network too.

So I have two profiles :
- for me, I think the best way will be to have a small mikrotik device with wifi and 5 ports switch, and routerOs compatible to run the dude. I think "hap lite" is enough, "hap" will better in wifi and have Poe in/out, and if I want gigabitport, "rb951g-2hnd" will be necessary. For all of these models, there's a routeros license 4 include in the initial price...??
- for my students, I need to recommend the lower price configuration, so it's the "hap lite" ?
Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad English, I m French ;)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: The Dude without windows

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:58 am

Dude currently only runs on x86 (including virtual machine) and CCR TILERA devices. It will not run on hAP lite.

Yes, all RouterBOARD devices have license included in the price.

pachy
Topic Author

The Dude without windows

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Thank you normis... So the first mikrotik device to use the dude is the RouterBOARD 951Ui-2HnD ?
I don't want to teach how to configure virtual machine to my students lol

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Thank you normis... So the first mikrotik device to use the dude is the RouterBOARD 951Ui-2HnD ?
I don't want to teach how to configure virtual machine to my students lol
That model also wont do for current version dude. As my colleague said we are now working on dude server package just for Tile (CCR series hardware), x86 and CHR RouterOS hosts. If you just need dude for use in class you can still look for dude v4.0beta3 which supports windows server on the web.

pachy
Topic Author

The Dude without windows

Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:00 pm

Hello everybody, I m coming back just to know if "the dude" will coming in "low cost" mikrotik , like the RB951G-2hnd, RB2011UIAS or the CRS109-8G ?
I want to buy a gigabit switch with wifi N and the dude support !
For now I m using the Windows server but I would like to go on a separate dude server to follow your updates.
Thank you very well for your soft and equipments !

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Time will tell if the dude server package will be returned to mipsbe and ppc devices. For the moment we only will have it available for previously stated ROS devices: CCR (tile) and x86/CHR.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Hope the time shows it positively not only for mipsbe and ppc but for Windows too.

pachy
Topic Author

The Dude without windows

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Hope the time shows it positively not only for mipsbe and ppc but for Windows too.
This post is "dude without Windows"...

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:57 pm

i think if mikrotik enables the dude on mips devices people needs to be conscious of the limited performance.

a instance of the dude uses a important amount of hardware resources specially when is queried by the client

i have not tested but im curious about the dude performance on tilera devices because in windows releases the dude was single threaded

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:49 pm

This post is "dude without Windows"...
It is. So what? Does it mean I can't express my hope? :-)

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:07 pm

I suppose you could pony up for an x86 license, and install the x86 verion onto a Qemu image and run that on your laptop.
Run the instance with a single virtual NIC bridged to the real NIC, and it would act just like a host on your network.

This seems like an extra hoop to jump through, but at least you'd be able to have a stand-alone "dude box" if you wanted to do it this way.

pachy
Topic Author

The Dude without windows

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Yess a dude box can be a good idea, a rb2011 with dude will better ;)
But I think you must stay at a very low price for a dude box. Thanks for your interest !

pachy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Hello everybody, rb3011 seems good, perfect with a wifi ac interface lol...
But back order everywhere until October :(
Thank you mikrotik to ear us !!

pachy
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:02 pm

Hello, I bought a rb3011, it seems easy to configure for a basic setup and for the dude server.
Now I can test lot of things and follow all the RC versions ;)
Thanks mikrotik :D
Rb750gr3 seems good too, now I m waiting for a wifi version ;)

simon87
just joined

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:53 am

Hey guys,

Can someone point me to the right direction please. I am setting up a new VM and using CHR VMDK 6.37.1.
This vmdk come in preset 128mb space and I can't find a way to increase that size.

According to the instructions http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CH ... stallation step 9 and 10 you should be able to do it prior 1st Run but I won't let me.

Thanks in advance!

jebz

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:31 am

This vmdk come in preset 128mb space and I can't find a way to increase that size.
According to
janisk wrote:

on x86 (non-chr) it formats the disk and tries to use entire disk when installing. CHR is for virtual machines and the assumption is that it is running on the virtual disk, that can be expanded if you so desire.

if CHR sees that disk suddenly has expanded, it will attempt to expand the storage partition. On CHR installation that was done with the version older than 6.35rc36 this will not work as additional partition table changes were needed for this to work at all
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... sk#p531945

I stopped the CHR then expanded the disk size in the virtual machine. Once I had the newer version as noted by Janisk it expanded automatically.