Community discussions

MikroTik App

jagdish
just joined
Topic Author

Can anyone tell me that, How many devices we can add in Dude...

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 am

Hello guys,

Can anyone tell me that how many devices we can add in Dude.

please let me know as soon as possible.

Jagdish Rathod

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:33 pm

Many. I have never heard about such limitation.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can anyone tell me that, How many devices we can add in Dude...

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:25 pm

I monitor about 500 devices but at one time for a test of our desktops to see if they turned them off at night I build a map that would scan 192.168.0.0/16 and install ping on any device it found, that one map had about 2200 devices with a single probe of ping.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can anyone tell me that, How many devices we can add in Dude...

Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:25 am

keep an eye on dude database size, i always try to keep it at maximum 500mbytes to maintain a good performance, i prefer to split the work between multiple virtual machines to establish multiple instances of the dude, one instance on every virtual machine, that way i distribute the work, taking in count the dude is single threaded with multiple instances you can take advantage of a multi-core server using the dude

i think beyond 500mb it gets very i/o intensive for the storage of the machine running dude server for some tasks

make periodic backups to be prepared in case of database corruption

i think the performance of the dude do not depend directly of how many devices you have on it, i think it depends of how many services and probes are you monitoring and how many time of data are you keeping, for example keeping 100 services keeping 14 days of raw data is a heavy task and consumes 500mb of database.

if you maintain less raw data you reduce a lot the load and size of the database, but your graphics are less accurate when you try to see old data beyond the raw interval you are keeping