Community discussions

MikroTik App

samrock
just joined
Topic Author

The Future of The Dude??

Fri May 20, 2016 8:23 pm

We are having issues running The Dude on Linux and Mac machines. Windows is just no longer an option all of our techs can work in the unix environments thus we have moved away from Windows.

In the past few months The Dude has been crashing more and more running under Wine. Will we get a new hopefully Linux version of The Dude or should I start looking for something else?

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: The Future of The Dude??

Tue May 24, 2016 9:55 pm

This question has been asked and answered at this forum a number of times. There´s simply not enought people using linux desktop to develop a linux dude client.... It´s easier to ask for a web html5 version of the dude than a native linux client. That´s just the way it´s man. Maybe you could keep a clean XP virtual machine on your linux system just to run the dude. :wink:

shezzski
just joined

Thu May 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi samrock, do what I do and run the CHR image on a VM. I am running CHR via VMware workstation on Server 2012R2 in my home lab. The only thing the CHR is used for is to host "The Dude".

samrock
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:58 am

It is just utter crap that mikrotik will not develop a dude client for the os their main product is based on! They could at least work with WineHQ to insure the freaking thing works with wine with out crashing! They promote all this command line BS on the wiki for setting up a MikroTik but say the user base it to dumb to run linux what hypocrites!

I could say more but I guess it wont matter, just piss on us we are only the ones who buy your products!

samrock
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:02 am

O yea one more thing, If you are a network administrator and cannot run a unix machine then you should be fired and banished! My 51 year old mother runs Debian has her day to day OS!!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:36 am

The Dude is a complicated piece of software. Unfortunately, initially it was made 100% for Windows only. To make it run natively on other OS, we would have to re-make it from ground up, look for other components and libraries etc.

We use the Dude in Wine for our office monitoring, it works fine with all versions of Dude and Wine. I suggest you to email us more about your system and the specific crashes you are seeing.