Community discussions

MikroTik App

daggerCVN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Semi repost: How to Discover and Connect to default RB750Gv2s?

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:06 pm

I have another thread in the General forum that includes this question plus additional bulk configuration questions. Thought I'd post this directly related question which pertains only to The Dude in this forum as well:

I need to do bulk upgrade of firmware of many RB750Gv2 routers. Using Dude v4b3 on a Windows laptop connected to a 24 port gig switch, I have plugged in multiple virgin/out of the box/default config RB750s connected to the switch as well. A configured Mikrotik router is used as a DHCP server for all connected devices on this switch. The Dude discovers all of the default RB750s, but can't connect to them via IP address on WAN port (due to default Firewall config doesn't allow port 80 external connections). How can I "connect" to this group of default RB750s so that I can do a group firmware upgrade via the Dude?

Thanks,
David

SystemErrorMessage

Re: Semi repost: How to Discover and Connect to default RB750Gv2s?

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:03 pm

since the defaults all use the same IP you will have to use layer 2. Use discovery via mac.

daggerCVN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi SEM - I have gone thru the Wiki and The Dude interface, and cannot see how to discover based on MAC address - it only gives me an option to specify a IP subnet (under Local/Discover, the Device Discovery window only gives me a "Scan Networks" option where it asks for an IP subnet.) Can you let me know how to do a MAC discover? As well, do you know if this will allow for the connection to all the default configuration RB750s (again, the credentials of admin/ no password does not work over the WAN port connection).

To reiterate my setup: I have a 24-port layer 2 Cisco gig switch with a preconfigured Mikrotik router plugged into port 24 providing DHCP services; My laptop running The Dude v4.3b connected to port 23, and multiple RB750s connected to ports 1-22 that are fresh out of the box/default configs. All devices get a private 192.168.89.x IP assignment and all devices are on the same Layer 2 and Layer 3 subnet.

When I run Dude discovery with standard settings and using the 192.168.89.0/24 address in the Scan Networks field, all 5 nodes are discovered because they each have a unique private IP address assigned from the DHCP server/router on port 24. However, Dude cannot "connect" to any of the devices even when I change them one-by-one to Router-OS and Type set to MikroTik Device..... That's my issue that I must find a solution to so that I can bulk upgrade all of the new/default config'd RB750s to the production firmware.

Thanks - David

daggerCVN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Feature Request: How to Discover and Connect to default RB750Gv2s?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:48 pm

Things are getting serious here.  We have a property where I will deploy over 500 RG750s.   Since it appears that the ability to connect and Batch firmware upgrade default/out-of-the-box Mikrotiks is not supported on The Dude, I need to make this a (urgent) Feature Request.  Thank you.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:36 am

Due to the default configuration firewall which drops all input on wan interface you can't do that.

Better just use Netinstall to upgrade ROS on these devices and after that flashfig function, in case if you need to apply some specific configuration on those devices.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Flashfig