Community discussions

MikroTik App

tailsnaf
just joined
Topic Author

Newbie Question - The Dude not discovering all my devices

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:37 am

Hi,

I've just setup the dude for the first time using my 'testbed' network. The dude is running in CHR in vmware player on my laptop.

Currently my testbed network consists of a wireless bridge from my latop's ethernet port to dynadish-1 which is in a bridge with dynadish-2, which finally connects to a non-mikrotik / basic-router which connects to the internet.

The IPs are assigned as follows:

My local ethernet gets its IP from the router (via the transparent bridge) - 192.168.1.247
dynadish-1: eth1: 192.168.88.1/24, bridge1: 192.168.1.205/24, wlan1: 10.0.0.13/24
dynadish-2: eth1: 192.168.88.1/24, bridge1: 10.0.0.11/24, wlan1: NA
CHR dude server: 192.168.1.198 (via dhcp)
router: 192.126.1.1

I left the eth1 ports at the default in case I ever want to locally debug over lan cable when equipment is finally installed
I added an ip in the range of the router to the bridge1 of dynadish-1 so it could access the internet for services like ntp, etc.
I added the 10.0.0.0/24 IPs to to the wlan sides so they could be used to run point to point speed tests.

When I run the dude on my local machine under vmware, it does indeed generate a map of many devices connected to my router (phones, laptops, the dude server itself, etc)...basically everything in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

It does not see dynadish-2 at at all. I assumed it somehow could trace through devices to find what is connected to them.

Could anyone recommend anything I could try to get the dude to discover the devices on my network.
Is it required that I can ping all devices the dude can see?

I'm new to this area of 'advanced' networking - so please assume faulty knowledge of any and all networking topics!

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Newbie Question - The Dude not discovering all my devices

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:31 pm

If snmp is enabled on those devices the issue that you have could possibly be related to this bug:
* Auto-discovery tool has problems with typical homeAP/CPE setups that has snmp enabled. (only one of many devices gets discovered. Due to identical LAN networks.);

tailsnaf
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:54 pm

If snmp is enabled on those devices the issue that you have could possibly be related to this bug:
* Auto-discovery tool has problems with typical homeAP/CPE setups that has snmp enabled. (only one of many devices gets discovered. Due to identical LAN networks.);
Hi Krisjanis, thanks for the reply.
I do not think snmp is enabled, as I started from a clean setup and did not enable it manually.

To confirm the expected operation - will the dude discover connected devices by logging into them and seeing what they are connected to by 'probing' their interfaces, or does it require explicit routes to be setup in each device?

Long question short - if I cannot ping a device on another subnet, does it mean the dude will also not be able to see any devices on it - or is the dude 'smarter' than that?

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:35 am

Device must be reachable over ip level from The Dude server host or else server wont be able to monitor/discover the host.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:41 am

If you can't ping the device and SNMP is off, Dude can't see it. The default firewall usually blocks everything, so the devices are invisible. 

tailsnaf
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:58 pm

If you can't ping the device and SNMP is off, Dude can't see it. The default firewall usually blocks everything, so the devices are invisible. 
Thanks normis -

I started with a blank config - so have not set any firewall or NAT settings. All I've set is the wireless bridge/station-bridge modes, bridged eth1/wlan1, and added IPs on each interface as outlined in the OP. I have not added any routes, or default routes.

So based on this - what would you recommend - is there a default firewall that is on with a blank config? do I need default routes?