Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Get Dude Status

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:55 pm

When a device or service goes down on dude the tray icon will change to orange or red depending on what is down at any moment.
For as long as something is down it will stay at that color.

This is quite useful since with a glance at the tray you know if something is down or not even without focusing on the dude window.

I have created an LED Panel on which I show various alerts from Dude and other sources.

I can send alerts from Dude to my panel using 'execute on server' Notification. This works without any problems.

What I am looking for is a way to remotely probe the Dude server and get its status. Meaning the status shown in the tray icon.
Green - Orange - Red - Blue.

This way I can probe the Dude periodically from my LED panel and show the Dude's status there.

Is there a way to do that? I looked around Dude's settings and options and I didn't find anything.

isaacu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Get Dude Status

Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:44 am

WELL AWARE THIS POST IS 8 YEARS OLD
I'm looking for a way to do this. I had all but given up on a 4 color LED tower with Red/Orange/Green/Blue warning lights. This weekend I had 4 staff members come in for their shift, walk right past a 60" Monitor with the dude displayed on it, completely ignoring 3 tower outages. I just happened to remote into look at something else and noticed they had been showing down in TheDude for 11 hours. I want a stupid hard to ignore status indicator for the office.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:00 am

For quite time time I've had in my mind a solution like this
https://pypi.org/project/GetPixelColor/

Write a python program that will capture the windows tray, detect the dude icon color this way and report it to the rest of my monitoring systems or maybe then write a simple android app to just keep having a notification icon with the constant status of dude showing up.

Sadly I haven't had the time to try it out.
It would probably need a dedicated windows VM for it, so that no other apps are running that might cause the tray icons positions to change.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:38 pm

This weekend I had 4 staff members come in for their shift, walk right past a 60" Monitor with the dude displayed on it, completely ignoring 3 tower outages.
That's a layer 8 problem.

Ca6ko
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:03 pm

I want a stupid hard to ignore status indicator for the office.
Turn on an optional audible alert, the louder the harder it is to ignore. :lol: