Community discussions

MikroTik App

steen
Topic Author

Where is windows version ?

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:35 am

Hello Folks!

I do not longer find where to download the windows version of the dude.

Suddenly today my windows version of the dude does not open anymore, it unexpected ask me for language and does not open and I can ot pass by that point.
So I decided trying to download the dude on new, but I do only find versions of the dude for different router os version, not any windows version.
Currently because of this we do not longer have any monitoring for a rather big network, which is not good offcourse course.

What am I supposed to do now ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Where is windows version ?

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:44 am

The Dude server for Windows is discontinued for several months or more.
Your option is to use Dude client + RouterOS Dude server in a VirtualBox VM

steen
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:34 am

The Dude server for Windows is discontinued for several months or more.
Your option is to use Dude client + RouterOS Dude server in a VirtualBox VM
Okey I see :-)
Now it was not the dude server who died, it was the dude client sorry if it was misleading.
So where do I download the dude client for windows ?

Secondly, how do we import the current dude server setting in to a RouterOS Dude server, so we do not need to do all from scratch again which will take weeks of work ?

We have over the past 6-7 years setup a large monitoring using the dude server, I guess there are many like us out there, how did you do it ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 am

screen 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steen
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:17 pm

screen 1.jpg
Thanks!

The server is still version 3.6 and I cannot change that easely as far I know now.

The new client from picture above asks me if I would like to upgrade to version 3.6 and I get not further.

What now, using some old copy of 3.6 binaries meanwhile waiting for some solution on how to migrate the 3.6 server from microsoft server 2008 to RouterOS ?

steen
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:26 pm

screen 1.jpg
Thanks!

The server is still version 3.6 and I cannot change that easely as far I know now, someone ?

The new client from picture above asks me if I would like to upgrade to version 3.6 and I get not further.

What now, using some old copy of 3.6 binaries meanwhile waiting for some solution on how to migrate the 3.6 server from microsoft server 2008 to RouterOS ?

I did try to install the old v3.6 again on the dude client servers we use for monitoring our system, but it did not work either so we do not have any monitoring at moment, except the web monitoring that also exists in the dude server, but that lacks to many functions....

How do we solve this now ?

steen
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Hello Folks!

We do not only use the dude for monitoring using big maps with backgrounds and so on.
It is also used as SYSLOG server for about 100 various servers and mikrotik devices plus cisco firewalls and other devices.
We also have a number of probes and snmp stuff in the monitoring today.

The new dude, supposed to run in RouterOS on some TILE or PPC, does the new version really support multiple network maps with backgrounds, working as syslog servers.
Does the TILE or PPC device really handle all that amount of RAM and DISK IO needed to support it and the most important: is it stable enough to work 24/7-365, anyone who have experience ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:17 pm

This is what I tried to say in my first response http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Th ... _on_VM_CHR

steen
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:44 pm

This is what I tried to say in my first response http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Th ... _on_VM_CHR
:-)

Yes you mentioned virtual box vm, something I would try to avoid running 24/7-365 in production.
Option at our site is XEN or KVM virtualization or put it in PPC or TILE based box. So I will look in KVM solution or PPC/TILE variant and came back if there is some problems with that.

I also see that it is related to CHR license, that is not a problem, but I have to contact my local vendor about that part.

So get it up and running CHR or RouterOS@PPC|TILE + The dude server package.

The big question is how mature the new dude is today and still no suggestion on how to migrate the old dude server configuration, the old one has been very stable here.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:48 pm

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Try the new dude in testing mode first. It is not so mature yet and it is missing syslog so far. You can run chr with free testing license without any limitation to be sure what license type you will need to buy. No need to deal with reseller, you can obtain licenses directly.

steen
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:15 pm

Try the new dude in testing mode first. It is not so mature yet and it is missing syslog so far. You can run chr with free testing license without any limitation to be sure what license type you will need to buy. No need to deal with reseller, you can obtain licenses directly.
As I expected.
I spoke with my vendor. He run vmware with 4GB RAM and 4 CPU:s 64 bit mode for his setup. Mine is similar but with KVM instead, so I will go that path as it looks like now.
Sad with logging since all our servers log to it and we have made lots of nice logics around that to.
What about probes, does that work, we made several own for AIX and other odd stuff ?

steen
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Perfect! my vendor recommends 4GB RAM and 4 CPU 64 bit on vmware, I will try use KVM.

steen
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Perfect! my vendor recommends 4GB RAM and 4 CPU 64 bit on vmware, I will try use KVM.
Said and done! By using management interface from cloudmin with backend kvm we managed to start up a CHR session within minutes.
It was little tricky using management interface from cloudmin, it is not based on libvirt, so we had to exclude some settings. All inside there is very Linux focused.
1. I downloaded the (raw disk image): http://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... .3.img.zip
2. In cloudmin I did import system image and used image format "whole disk", and browsed to the locally stored image file, gave it a unique ID and name.
3. Then I created the new KVM instance and gave it a dns name "dude", some nice description and picked the previous imported cloudmin image.
The system settings like: 4 GB RAM, 4 CPU:s, 10GB disk
I have already bridge interface setup in cloudmin/kvm so I simply assigned the bridge interfaces on correct vlans, and set no IP addresses.
Rest was default, except I did put no on virtualmin options.
4. clicked create and went to graphical console for my dude instance and logged in with admin and no password.
I added IP addresses and default GW, rest of story is standard Mikrotik settings.

Next up is to install the dude package and import my old the dude server configuration, that is yet not done!
:-)