MikroTik App

antoxic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Windows Dude vs RouterOS Dude

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Hello.

I have The Dude server (monitoring approximately 500 devices) on a Windows Server machine. The database file is stored in a RAM disk because normal HDD is too slow to save the data. I want to use the latest version of Dude on RouterOS. I've setted up CHR on Ubuntu host with KVM. Ubuntu is running on 2 HDDS in RAID1 and RouterOS is installed in an LVM partion over this RAID1. I am wondering if Dude server will work normally? Do we need something like RAM disk to optimize the DB writings? I am thinking about moving RouterOS virtual machine to SSD, is this needed? Does somebody has Dude server with similar characteristics?

I can't find the differences between the server for Windows or RouterOS.

Regards, Anton.

sb1349
just joined

Re: Windows Dude vs RouterOS Dude

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:50 pm

CHR works great on an ssd drive. I have been using the Dude in both a production environment monitoring several hundred devices on a Kingston HyperX Predator drive. My testing environment monitoring a dozen or so on a standard ssd. We are using VSphere to handle the vm's and do not let anything other than the Dude on that drive for fear of wearing out the drive prematurely as the Dude has a lot of data to write to the drive.

Just be warned that the dude updates are still breaking things as they update the code base so be careful when upgrading. We have left the production setup well behind and are waiting for a more stable version that passes internal testing before updating.

antoxic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:10 pm

CHR works great on an ssd drive. I have been using the Dude in both a production environment monitoring several hundred devices on a Kingston HyperX Predator drive. My testing environment monitoring a dozen or so on a standard ssd. We are using VSphere to handle the vm's and do not let anything other than the Dude on that drive for fear of wearing out the drive prematurely as the Dude has a lot of data to write to the drive.

Just be warned that the dude updates are still breaking things as they update the code base so be careful when upgrading. We have left the production setup well behind and are waiting for a more stable version that passes internal testing before updating.
Hi. I think i will do the same, use an SSD. We are running RouterOS with Dude server for about one week, and i don't really like it. Basically we have two problems in the dude client:

1. Network statistics on the map dissapears and I see: [Interface.InBitRate] [Interface.OutBitRate]
2. If i try to ping one device on the map from the client i'm getting horrible pings and even timeouts!

Regards

antoxic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:10 am

I've found a problem. Every few minutes one core gets 100% load. But dude server has 3! I'm gonna put it on a separate hardware and see how it goes.

Dude should have something like sharding to distribute the loading between few servers.

RouterOS just keeps disapointing me.

derr12

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:08 pm

Im using an X86 license on the dude on a xenserver VM. gave it 2 cores, dude often hits 100% on a single core, but not too bad. monitoring 450 or so devices fairly reliably. The latest current release is better on CPU usage, but the up/down notifications are broken (dont get me started).

Overall, at this stage in the developement, windows dude server was more usefull, but less stable. before i upgraded from 6.31, i handt had to reboot the dude. any build in between 6.31 and 6.37 was unstable, service would crash.

They also took away the dudes ability to receive syslogs, which really irks me. I could send syslogs to the dude before and have it show in it's own logfile on my panel.

so in short, fewer features, need fast single core cpu to be useful on larger environments, but more stable. I just wish they would leave critical feature bugs in the RC builds.

antoxic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Im using an X86 license on the dude on a xenserver VM. gave it 2 cores, dude often hits 100% on a single core, but not too bad. monitoring 450 or so devices fairly reliably. The latest current release is better on CPU usage, but the up/down notifications are broken (dont get me started).

Overall, at this stage in the developement, windows dude server was more usefull, but less stable. before i upgraded from 6.31, i handt had to reboot the dude. any build in between 6.31 and 6.37 was unstable, service would crash.

They also took away the dudes ability to receive syslogs, which really irks me. I could send syslogs to the dude before and have it show in it's own logfile on my panel.

so in short, fewer features, need fast single core cpu to be useful on larger environments, but more stable. I just wish they would leave critical feature bugs in the RC builds.
Yes, i think that it was warking much much much muuuuch better on windows. But sometimes we had to restart the service because it was not showing graphs properly.

Coud you tell me what kind of hardware are you using? I'm using Intel Xeon CPU E3-1270 V2. I gave 3 cores and 4GB RAM to dude and it's really slow. Graphs are not showed properly, ping is awful.

Are you using a PCI Passthrough for the network card?

Maybe I should ty installing an X86 instead of CHR.

Regards, Anton.

derr12

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:35 pm

Im using a pair of opteron 16 core chips in my xen environment. 2.3ghz i believe. i have it on a 8 disk raid 10 array (10gb assigned to dude) and it is backed by 1gb of LVM cache on a super fast PCI express intell SSD. Graphs are fine,. ive only assigned 1gb ram and 2 cores. it only uses about 250meg of the 1gb ram. but it hogs anywhere fr4om 80-100% of 1 cpu and leaves the second idleing. I don't believe the dude service can run on more than one core. Pings are pretty stable on 6.37, on previous versions, pings were bad half the time and i was frequently getting booted from dude winbox sessions.

I wonder if the CCR versions can multi-thread better.

antoxic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Im using a pair of opteron 16 core chips in my xen environment. 2.3ghz i believe. i have it on a 8 disk raid 10 array (10gb assigned to dude) and it is backed by 1gb of LVM cache on a super fast PCI express intell SSD. Graphs are fine,. ive only assigned 1gb ram and 2 cores. it only uses about 250meg of the 1gb ram. but it hogs anywhere fr4om 80-100% of 1 cpu and leaves the second idleing. I don't believe the dude service can run on more than one core. Pings are pretty stable on 6.37, on previous versions, pings were bad half the time and i was frequently getting booted from dude winbox sessions.

I wonder if the CCR versions can multi-thread better.
Well as far as i know dude is single thread. But looks like the hard disk is the bottle neck. I've assigned 3 cores to dude and it used only one. From 4GB of ram it was using 500Mb maximum. I really think that SSD cache on LVM could probably fix this issue. Maybe a PCI passthrough will make a better usage of the network interface.

I've also experimented a problem with users beink kicked out of winbox and also from the dude client! I need to try 6.37.

Regards, Anton.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:21 pm

I am still running 4b3 on windows 7 because of syslog, Web access and reliability. Time to time checking what's new in version 6 but the time to move forward is still in far future yet.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Possibly there is some problem with server if it constantly creates load just on one core. It should be able to utilise up to 3 cores for various tasks.
If you already haven't, please create support ticket for this problem.

derr12

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:38 pm

a later update has better cpu utilization, anywhere from 20-30% use on the second core. first one will occasionally peg.

e-mail up/down notifications are still broken, and it's still pretty unstable. background images disappear for no reason from time to time and i have to re-upload them.

a few more updates and ill be ditching it for something else i think. This development path has removed or made too buggy to use all the useful features that made it great.

Im not complaining, for the cost of an ROS license it makes a good small scale network monitor. Unfortunately for me since i rely on it so much, it needs to improve in short order or else it's looking like open NMS for us.