Community discussions

MikroTik App

ekean45
just joined
Topic Author

Newbie Home User - Connect Failed

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:40 pm

I apologize as this is probably a very basic question for this forum. I am a home user and not a networking expert. Just enough to be dangerous. From what I understand, this is one of the best apps to use for network monitoring and mapping.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7800 router. I'm not crazy about the consoles monitoring and map - it's very buggy. I've also used it's Genie app, which is a bit better, but still not that great. My network has a number of devices attached including extenders, an access point, Roku's, iPhones, kindles, a few laptops, TV's...etc.

I've installed The Dude on a Windows 10 box and keep getting a status of "Connect failed: 100061: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

I have tried the following to connect and tried each with combinations of the bullet points:
- Server, I have used the main IP of my network given to me by Netgear's console for the Remote Access Management. I have also used my router IP in the Lan/IP setup
- Mode: tried both plain and secure
- Port: I've used several, including matching the port noted on remote management
- User Name: Used admin and the user name of my router's console
- Password: blank and used the router console password
- Firewall: turned off on my box where The dude is installed.
- Netgear Remote Management: Tried on and off - also turned off the NAT firewall.

Over the last several days, I've looked through the documentation and forums but nothing has seemed to work. Feels like I'm really close but I must be missing something.

If I'm way off base, please don't waste your time writing a lengthy explanation. I don't want to waste your time if it appears this might be too advanced for me at this time. And you can tell me so - I don't get offended easily! I'm still learning from trial and error. In fact, most things I've learned about networking (and computers in general) have been from trial and error. I've spent many nights over the last 20 years reinstalling operating systems that I managed to corrupt - funny thing is that my family thinks I'm a technical genius.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Newbie Home User - Connect Failed

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:10 pm

The Dude has two components: a client and a server. Prior to 2016, both would run on the same Windows box. The current version of Dude requires the server to run on a MikroTik device – not just any MikroTik, but a very limited number of architectures. The server has to be set up and installed there before you can use it from the Windows client. In your request, you never even specified that your home router is in fact a MikroTik, so please forgive me if I'm giving you basic information you already know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:19 pm

I should add: if you're serious about wanting to use the Dude on your home network, probably the most cost-efficient way to do that would be to buy a MikroTik hEX (the plain hEX, none of the lite or POE variants) and add it to your existing network as a wired in device. This is the most inexpensive device that actually runs the Dude. Technically, you could run it for free if you have the time and experience to screw around with creating virtual environments on your Windows box, but I'm guessing from the tone of your message that you don't. The advantage of using the hardware approach is that the Dude is running and monitoring things all the time, whereas with a virtual environment your monitoring will be performed only when you have it booted up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ekean45
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:41 pm

Got a bit more to learn about networking but maybe setting this up could be a new project for me.
Thanks for the feedback!