Community discussions

MikroTik App

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Show cisco interface description in the tooltip

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:27 am

I have tried all sorts of things to get the oid for the interface description to show on the tooltip.
The oid exists now that I have added "OLD-CISCO-INTERFACES-MIB.mib" Adding mibs locks up the client btw...

Description: [oid("1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.1")]
[oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.local.linterfaces.lifTable.lifEntry.locIfDescr.0")]

No mater what I put in the oid I get empty string. All the interfaces I am trying to look at I am certain have a description on them. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks
Sweetdude
Sweet, what does mine say? Dude, what does mine say?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Show cisco interface description in the tooltip

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:30 am

Here is the mib that contains loclifDesc... incase you want to try to get it working.

I have stopped and restarted the service and tried snmp v2 with no luck although you have to restart the server to load the new mibs...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:41 am

I have found that Description: [oid("1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.1")] does get the description but not for the interface I am hovering over... I need to add the interface variable somehow.

Thanks
Sweet

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:02 am

I don't know why it started working but either one of these will get the interface description from a cisco device.
Notice the interface index gives you that much needed variable to select the correct interface.
[oid("1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.[Interface.Index]")]

[oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.local.linterfaces.lifTable.lifEntry.locIfDescr.[Interface.Index]")]

You do need to install the mibs I included above. Also make sure once you copy them up to the server to move them into the mib folder. They just fall into the root and you can drag and drop them into the mib folder... Do this from the server to suffer from less crashes and double check that they exist in the mib folder then you can delete them from the root directory.

Solved my own issue :)
Sweet, DOOD!!!

Skyler
just joined

Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Hey SweetDude, was wondering if you had some more detail on what you did with this. You mention "hovering" over an interface, and the only place I know of in Dude 3.0rc3 that has that is in the Interface sub-tab of the Snmp tab of the device settings. I threw together a little probe that uses the info you indicate, but am getting nothing.

Thanks,
Skyler

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:03 am

I put it in the tool tip for the global settings under settings, map, link-dropdown...
I can post a screen shot on Monday.

But the correct way to add something to a tool tip or for that matter anywhere is use a function that determines if the OID exists and concatenate the description in the function. This way you will not see the description (or lack thereof) for things that don't exist. Like links from non-Cisco devices wont show "Description:" and nothing. If you look at the pre-made [device_type] and formulate your wanted OID like it then it will only appear if it actually exists... Make sense?

Once you make it a function it will be available in the function list also so it is easier to place where you want it.

Since I have had trouble using copies of items I build everything from scratch. YMMV...

Tool tips can be customized per map or globally but it would be really nice if they moved tool tips into the devices types and link types so you could have much more control of what is attempted when the tool tip pops up.

Let me know if you need screen shots.
SD

Skyler
just joined

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:38 pm

Screenshots would be great. I've done a lot of coding in a past life, but haven't really had time to sit down and figure out the coding methodology of the Dude, so anything that would give me a leg up on getting monitoring configured and figuring it out is appreciated.

sady
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:50 pm

have anybody similar ideas to change data sources for graph appeared over link(when pointing cursor on it)? It's pretty cool to add new graphs on devices, just by adding appropriate custom service! But link graphs get only one standard interface OID, and i can't figure out how to change it

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Ok here are some shots for you... Note that I have done it the right way for UPS and wrong for link description.

you can see the link description OID added directly to the tooltip for links...
linkmap.jpg
Here you can see the UPS Function added to the tooltip for devices...
tootip.JPG
Here is how to make the function with the description concatenated to the OID...
function.jpg
The next 2 screenshots are in the next post shows what it looks like on a tooltip when the OID doesn't exist.
That doesn't happen when you use a function. When you use a function and the OID is missing it shows nothing.
I didn't make a shot of when the function works works and the 2nd shot in the next post is what it looks like to have the interface description show up on a link that has the OID... All I need to do is move the cisco interface description to a function. Just not doing anything in the dude today :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:34 pm

linknodes.jpg
linkdes.jpg
Either way it works but It is just a matter of making the tooltips look their best and you can add more things on the tooltip using the function and still have it display nice.

Skyler
just joined

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks SweetDude. Makes complete sense now.
I appreciate the time you took to do this.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 am

Yeah it is a neat product... I hope it takes off!!

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:23 am

Well I tried to make the description into a function and I get invalid OID :(
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this?

if (string_size(oid("1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.[Interface.Index]")),
concatenate("Description: ", oid("1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.[Interface.Index]"), ""), "")

I noticed the missing ) in the graphic it was just a paste error...

dsec.JPG