Community discussions

MikroTik App

manoloon
just joined
Topic Author

Dude for Linux

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:01 pm

when we gonna get this beautyful piece of software port for linux? and also KISS .. I am using it with wine , but.. C`mon!!

maximan
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Dude for Linux

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:02 pm

use wine

M.

manoloon
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:04 pm

thanks maxi , I am using wine .

conjurer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10 pm

I used server on wine on linux machine. It sucked :( Now i am using dude under ROS.
And Dude client under wine. "Tools -> Web" doesn't work :(

Tony Burton

Tue May 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Using wine absolutely sucks for a service. Has anyone posted a definitive guide to running dude as a service on Linux?

I really need a way of starting and stopping the dude server automatically like any other Linux daemon, without a login.

salamon
just joined

Sat May 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Same here, and think everywhere. Dude is not a typical interactive soft,
rather a data collecting manager and logger. Try to imagin the syslogd,
not running as root process and fire it up manually after each reboot
or failure...

conjurer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 am

Maybe about 90% of those who use mikrotik firmware and dude, don't know how to use linux, so mikrotik is just ignoring them?

gsandul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 18, 2010 8:02 am

Hey. Whats up?
I'm not a linux/unix admin, but I founded a solution for Dude "As a Service" on FreeBSD.

Hope Linux guru will make it work on Linux.

1) Install sofware (from port to be more clear to understand)
cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
make; make install clean
cd /usr/ports/emulators/wine/
make; make install clean
cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver/
make; make install clean
/usr/ports/sysutils/monit/
make; make install clean
cd /usr/ports/ftp/wget/
make; make install clean
2) Get The Dude
wget http://www.mikrotik.com/download/dude/3 ... ll-3.5.exe
3) Install The Dude after starting xorg
wine ~/dude-install-3.5.exe &
4) Start it ones for first startup configuration.
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Dude/dude.exe
make sure you selected
enable_local_server.JPG
5) Enable Monit daemon in /etc/rc.conf
monit_enable="YES"
6) Make Xvfb startup script
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/startXvfb.sh

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/Xvfb -shmem -screen 0 800x600x16 &

7) Make script to start dude
/root/dudestart.sh

#!/bin/sh
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/local/bin/wine /root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Dude/dude.exe &

8) Make monit configuration /usr/local/etc/monitrc

# Check if Virtual X-windows process started
check process Xvfb with pidfile /tmp/.X0-lock
start program = "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/startXvfb.sh"

# Check If Dude started do not start if Xvfb is not runnig
check host dude with address 192.168.0.250
start program = "/root/dudestart.sh start"
if failed port 2210 then start
depends on Xvfb

9) Correct file permitions
chmod 600 /usr/local/etc/monitrc
chmod 700 /root/dudestart.sh
chmod 700 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/startXvfb.sh

10) Test it
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/monit start

try to connect to dude server from remote host

reboot and check The Dude is running

That is all.

:)
Please tell us if it works under Linux.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

salamon
just joined

Wed May 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Please read carefully the text:
Manoloon: when we gonna get this beautyful piece of software port for linux?
and also KISS .. I am using it with wine ...
The answer: use wine
Tony (and me): Using wine absolutely sucks for a service. Has anyone posted
a definitive guide to running dude as a service on Linux?
The answer: Copy & paste a FreeBSD solution, again with wine...

Dear copypasters:
This is something same like we are exactly use (on Debian). But this is
not a pure solution, it is just a terrible and near unuseable workaround.

- Dude workz on wine seriously only as root process (any pathwordless su's,
sudo's, kdesu's and more su's are sucks).
- There is a security problem to launch X as root with autologin of coarse.
Due to this limitations and furthermore the poor long term stability of dude
running on wine is the reason, why we are dream about "The dude server daemon"
called by init.d on system startup.

Dude is a very nice piece of client-server software. What a pity that it can't
be used in linux environment seriously...

EMOziko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Please make Dude for Linux. We want it.
RouterOS is based on linux and winbox and Dude is only for windows. It's not good fact.
I hope in future Dude will be available for linux.
Sorry for my pure English.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:58 pm

more people use windows than linux, it's a fact. we have very few requests like this, less than one per month. use Wine, it works perfect.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Normis,

The Dude server runs on RouterOS (in my case x86), and it runs good. How is it running (wine emulation, native linux port, etc...)?

Since Mikrotik RouterOS doesn't use X11, and is 100% command-line, I'm curious as to how the Dude server is running "in the background".

Thanks again for the software.

EMOziko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 am

Yeah most people using windows for desktop, but most people using linux for servers. I have linux server and want to set up Dude. But wine sucks :(
The Dude already works on linux native (on routerOS) and lets make Dude for linux and windows users can emulate it with wine analog on windows :D Yes its possible http://www.andlinux.org/ and it works perfectly!

KOPRajs
just joined

Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi,
we are running Dude server on Linux for some time and it works nice, but we are not able to get Web access working. Has anyone managed to do that?

We've tried that in Dude 3.6 and now with 4.0beta3 under Debian Etch with Wine 1.0.1 and Kubuntu 11.04 with Wine 1.2.2 but the result is the same. I'm getting this error in the log when enabling Web access: "UserApp: can not connect to dude server". According to netstat the server doesn't even open the listening port. It works under Windows of course. This should be easy to fix, so it would be very nice to see it working in Dude 4.0beta4.

Thank You very much.

stepw
just joined

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:50 am

Web-access under wine is also discussed here:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43962

Under Wine 1.2 on Centos 5 async ReadFileEx/WriteFileEx on named pipes used between Dude server and web-interface instances can return an error that Dude does not expect - ERROR_BROKEN_PIPE. In addition when ERROR_IO_PENDING is returned, Wine considers async read/write operation failed (returning FALSE), whereas Windows considers is completed successfully (returning TRUE)...

Anyway, long story short, it IS an easy fix. The following snippet can be used to handle ReadFileEx/WriteFileEx result for better Wine compatibility:
b = ReadFileEx(hFile, lpBuffer, nNumberOfBytesToRead, lpOverlapped, lpCompletionRoutine);
e = GetLastError();
if ((e == ERROR_BROKEN_PIPE) || (e == ERROR_IO_PENDING))
{
	b = TRUE;
	e = ERROR_IO_PENDING;
}
I've made a dll which hooks ReadFileEx and WriteFileEx once injected to dude.exe process and performs the above. This way web-instance handles named pipes correctly under Wine, opens the ports and accepts connections:
# netstat -nap | grep :22
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2280                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      11925/wineserver
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2210                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      11925/wineserver
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2243                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      11925/wineserver
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2211                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      11925/wineserver
There's a caveat, Dude server and web-interface instances need to be started in sequence with sufficient delay, both with this injected dll for this to work, e.g.
wine loader.exe "dude.exe --server" fixpipe.dll
sleep 30
wine loader.exe "dude.exe --web" fixpipe.dll
This is cumbersome, I also hope they fix it in v.4b4.

PS For those who run dude as a service, for stopping the service
wine "dude.exe" --stop-server
command line can be used, which will gracefully shut down all running server instances.

900mhzdude
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 14, 2011 1:03 am

+1 for Linux Dude !

it ROS not a port of linux? I'm not seeing why it would be that
difficult

I'm sick of my Dude server getting hacked and would love to
run it on Linux not virus feeding windows

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 16, 2011 9:00 am

+1 for Linux Dude !

difficult

1. routeros has nothing to do with dude, they are not related
2. why is your dude getting hacked and how exactly?

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 am

+1 for Linux Dude !

difficult

Answer 1: Normis, yes it does, as Dude "runs on top of" RouterOS, and RouterOS runs "on top of" linux. And so 900mhzdude's (and mine above) question was about why Dude can't run on 'regular' linux, as it runs on RouterOS, which is, underneith it, linux.

I guess we just want to know 'why' Dude doesn't run on linux native. I know you guys are busy, but I'm not liking your non-relevant responses to some of these questions. Do you remember GRE debate for a few years? That only made people more angry because we weren't getting 'real' responses from support, but rather getting answers making us users feel like it's our fault, or that we shouldn't be using such a standard protocol in networking equipment.

Just some thoughts.

iam8up

Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 pm

+1 for Linux Dude !

difficult

Answer 1: Normis, yes it does, as Dude "runs on top of" RouterOS, and RouterOS runs "on top of" linux. And so 900mhzdude's (and mine above) question was about why Dude can't run on 'regular' linux, as it runs on RouterOS, which is, underneith it, linux.

I guess we just want to know 'why' Dude doesn't run on linux native. I know you guys are busy, but I'm not liking your non-relevant responses to some of these questions. Do you remember GRE debate for a few years? That only made people more angry because we weren't getting 'real' responses from support, but rather getting answers making us users feel like it's our fault, or that we shouldn't be using such a standard protocol in networking equipment.

Just some thoughts.
Just wait until someone else makes something like Dude and people will flock over to that. Not getting support for obvious things such as what's being discussed (understandably for a free product, but why make it at all?), not being back to back up one version or restore another. Frankly I'm still wondering why the pings always come back <1 or a multiple of 10. I see <1ms or 10ms on almost every ping. I know most of the network is reachable in 2-6ms with 32 byte pings.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 am

remember GRE debate for a few years? That only made people more angry because we weren't getting 'real' responses from support, but rather getting answers making us users feel like it's our fault, or that we shouldn't be using such a standard protocol in networking equipment.
GRE is natively supported in RouterOS, by the way.

What is a "real" response? At the time we didn't know if we will support it or not.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 pm

remember GRE debate for a few years? That only made people more angry because we weren't getting 'real' responses from support, but rather getting answers making us users feel like it's our fault, or that we shouldn't be using such a standard protocol in networking equipment.
GRE is natively supported in RouterOS, by the way.

What is a "real" response? At the time we didn't know if we will support it or not.
I know GRE is in v5, I'm very happy about that :)

It's like this: You guys make the product, RouterOS, Dude, SWOS right? And you guys are making design decisions about the product, and interacting with customers via email, and forum to find bugs, implement new features, etc right? So, it would be safe to assume you guys (all Mikrotik staff that post on the forum) have a pretty good knowledge of the product(s), it's features, and its future plans, etc... Each person may have an expertise on a specific aspect of the each product, but in general the people from Mikrotik who post on the forum should have a very good knowledge of the products they post about.
difficult
Having said all this, it seems a bit strange that the question you responded to was 'misunderstood'. It may have something to do the understanding the context of the posting, however with a title like "Dude for Linux", it would be difficult to misinterpret.

A side note about GRE: A lot of people posted asking about implementing a GRE feature in RouterOS. This is a very common protocol and pretty much all router devices support it (that I'm aware of), yet whenever we asked about it, Mikrotik response was always something like: use eoip, use vpn, use xyz tunnel. It seemed like you guys just didn't want to answer the questions, so as users, we didn't know what was going on. We just wanted an answer.

Back on track: The main thing with linux and Dude is this: We all know RouterOS runs on top of linux right? We know that Dude runs on top of RouterOS right?
1. Question: Why doesn't Dude run on regular linux distros (ex. Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc...)?
2. Questoin: What would it take to run Dude on an above distro?

There are some very talented people at Mikrotik. There are also very talented people who visit these forums. When we ask questions, not all of us posting are beginners, and so it's those 'beginner' responses that lead to posters feeling like our questions are being ignored.

Anyway, I hope some of this made sense :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 19, 2011 9:15 am

Dude doesn't run on top of RouterOS. It's exclusively a windows program. You are talking about the Dude agent NPK package. This is where the misunderstanding came from

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 20, 2011 10:34 am

Dude doesn't run on top of RouterOS. It's exclusively a windows program. You are talking about the Dude agent NPK package. This is where the misunderstanding came from
Right, so that makes sense.

However, I think the general discussion was about running the Dude agent on linux, kind of like 'server mode'. So right now, we have to run the Dude client under windows (or linux using wine), which I think is ok. It's the always-running Dude agent that would be nice to run native on linux. It's the Dude agent that people understand runs on top of RouterOS, and that people are asking for a native linux port of.

Basically, it's the server part of Dude that I think is being discussed here.

Anyway, I'm sure we could fill many pages of discussion ;)

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 24, 2011 6:30 pm

+1 to this.
Why use wine at all to run a diagonistics server (Dude) ?

It doesnt sound logical, is it ?

tombee79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:17 am

Hi

I have dude installed on linux Ubuntu 10.04 64bit, i run it with WINE.
The problem i am having is that any time i do my local LAN scan 192.168.8.0/24 it doens't detects and layout any devices on my lan.
I checked the option to lay out the found devices once founded.

I works perfect on windows XP thoug.

Any idea what can cause it?

The Problem solved i changed the discovery mode to reliable but i encountered another one, when i right click on the device icone in Dude Network panel and select tools-> ping the ping failed for all of the devices i do it. Even when i select to ping not itself but other device on the network it fails. BTW, i don't have firewall on local devices.

It works perfect on my WinXP machine thou. Linux is harder but for Commercial/Profe. it is better to have Dude for Linux

MAKE DUDE FOR LINUX, I use Ubuntu, BTW, you have 2 request than.

Thx

Thanks

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:31 am

As we know http://wiki.ubnt.com/AirControl can be installed on Windows and Linux.

May be Dude on Ros is runs under wine too ?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Nope, ROS Dude is native.

To tell the truth, between first noticing Dude package for ROS x86 and getting the idea "woohoo, I'll rip it out of there!" wasn't more than half a second for me. ;) The excitement was quickly gone in about twenty minutes when I realized it won't function without some MikroTik process also running in the system. And even if it worked, it would probably violate some licence.

But the point is, Dude for Linux does exist. Probably only as agent without GUI, but that's what most people would be happy with. Now if they just released it, it would be so great.

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Looking for dude agent on Linux?
I'm using Dude 4 beta 3 using openvz vm running under wine.
It does not run as a service but it's start automatically.

Working very very well.
My main server and dozen agents running like that.
It's very easy to deploy just backup and restore the openvz part

This openvz continer is 700MB. That's the reason I'm not uploading the file.
I will be happy to provide it if someone is able to provide FTP or space for that.

FYI
Openvz is running well on proxmox ve.
:D

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 pm

I too would like to see "The Dude" as a linux native application. Wine is limited and using a VM takes way to much resources. As a new company that is implimenting Mikrotik routers at all its location and being a linux only shop it would be very welcomed. I think the attitude of just use wine sucks. not very friendly to the community. Maybe if it was open sourced you would see a lot more Linux users and from reading through the forum it sounds like "the dude" is pretty much dying out from lack of support from its windows counter part.

Just expressing my concerns. Thanks for listening.

tombee79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 pm

+1 The Dude for linux

thx

wk5h

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:04 am

I agree, a native dude client for linux would be nice... But, I haven't found a need yet for what I use the dude for, to need a linux server install.

Maybe I just didn't see it listed before, but, here was my solution, since I refuse to run anything "server" on a windows machine.

I have a machine that's a dedicated vmware esxi 5 server. Nothing fancy, but beefy enough. I created a simple virtual machine, installed the x86 ROS on that vm, and registered for a level 1 license. I threw the dude npk file on that ROS machine, and I have a perfectly working, non-windows dude server that runs just fine along side some other virtual machines I have running. Probably most of us have an older machine lying around not doing anything, and I imagine that you could do the same level 1 license on that machine, and it run fine as well. I don't use it for anything else but for the dude.

Now, for the dude client, I still run it in wine both on my macbook pro and on my linux machine, but, I don't have to run it as root. There are the occasional hiccups, but, I'll deal with those hiccups to not have to launch a windows vm machine every time I want to use the dude.

Now, if vmware would just write a native linux client for their vsphere client, I could get rid of the windows vm machine on my mac, and I'd be a happy boy... cause it just pukes all over itself in wine...

Thanks to all those who have had a hand in developing ROS and the mikrotik hardware; I have many a friend who make a living installing and supporting your products, and are always first to recommend it over the insanely priced equipment that do only a handful of the things your software/hardware does.

KOPRajs
just joined

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Could You please provide the fixpipe.dll?

Web-access under wine is also discussed here:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43962

Under Wine 1.2 on Centos 5 async ReadFileEx/WriteFileEx on named pipes used between Dude server and web-interface instances can return an error that Dude does not expect - ERROR_BROKEN_PIPE. In addition when ERROR_IO_PENDING is returned, Wine considers async read/write operation failed (returning FALSE), whereas Windows considers is completed successfully (returning TRUE)...

Anyway, long story short, it IS an easy fix. The following snippet can be used to handle ReadFileEx/WriteFileEx result for better Wine compatibility:
b = ReadFileEx(hFile, lpBuffer, nNumberOfBytesToRead, lpOverlapped, lpCompletionRoutine);
e = GetLastError();
if ((e == ERROR_BROKEN_PIPE) || (e == ERROR_IO_PENDING))
{
	b = TRUE;
	e = ERROR_IO_PENDING;
}
I've made a dll which hooks ReadFileEx and WriteFileEx once injected to dude.exe process and performs the above. This way web-instance handles named pipes correctly under Wine, opens the ports and accepts connections:
# netstat -nap | grep :22
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2280                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      11925/wineserver
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2210                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      11925/wineserver
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2243                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      11925/wineserver
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2211                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      11925/wineserver
There's a caveat, Dude server and web-interface instances need to be started in sequence with sufficient delay, both with this injected dll for this to work, e.g.
wine loader.exe "dude.exe --server" fixpipe.dll
sleep 30
wine loader.exe "dude.exe --web" fixpipe.dll
This is cumbersome, I also hope they fix it in v.4b4.

PS For those who run dude as a service, for stopping the service
wine "dude.exe" --stop-server
command line can be used, which will gracefully shut down all running server instances.

mistiq

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:22 am

Using wine absolutely sucks for a service. Has anyone posted a definitive guide to running dude as a service on Linux?

I really need a way of starting and stopping the dude server automatically like any other Linux daemon, without a login.
It is easy to start Dude automatically on Linux using Xvfb:

Xvfb :1&
     export DISPLAY=:1
     cd /home/monitor/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Dude/
     WINEDEBUG=-all wine dude.exe &

DonQ
just joined

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm

OK, I have a strange one. According to a MikroTik page (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Talk:Dude ... stallation) if you want to run The Dude as a client under Linux, and you get an error about a socket, it means The Dude, under wine, is trying to run as a server. To fix this, start up The Dude on a windows box and change it to run NOT ON THE LOCAL SERVER. Exit The Dude (TD) and copy a certain file from the Windows box to it's corresponding place on the Linux box. Then fire up TD.

I did this and IT WORKED. Once.... Since then I could not get it working like this ever again. I tried to view/edit the contents of this file, but it is totally not human readable. What gives? How to fix this?

Please consider a Linux version of TD please

Johann
just joined

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Hello DonQ,
I run Dude under wine in production environment for five years. Please provide more details on your issue.
Johann

CyB3RMX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 am

more people use windows than linux, it's a fact. we have very few requests like this, less than one per month. use Wine, it works perfect.
i agree with you, most people use windows, but if RouterOS is linux based, and it support the dude server, how diffucult its to release a Dude server for linux?.

regards.!

meconiotronic

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 pm

i agree with you, most people use windows, but if RouterOS is linux based, and it support the dude server, how diffucult its to release a Dude server for linux?.

regards.!

I agree please relase more software for linux. Winbox in wine run well but it doesn't support drag and drop from winbox to linux

ayufan

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:31 pm

regards.!
It's political issue, not the development.

You can run the dude using wine. And it works. Or you can virtualize RouterOS on x86 and use the demo key (level 1 license) which sufficient for dude installation.

dual
just joined

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi, I have a little problen on my Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64 on PC. Winbox and dude are working fine. But when i move cursor over any item in dude it crashes when it tries to show the diagram with history of usage. I have also Ubuntu 12.04 x86 on my laptop but there everything works fine. The Dude version is v4.0beta3 on every machines and wine version is 1.4.1. Any idea ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

batot
just joined

Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 am

I thinking that your thinking it's very simple.
Consider to what the recipient is directed the "DUDE"?
Is the casual user or the network administrator.
Then think about what operating system they use real adminitratorzy network? Give you a hint, it's that I know including myself are using Linux only!

If you can not make software for Linux, Let go of the source in the form of Open Source and ensure someone remodel it for Linux.

crhylove
just joined

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:47 am

More sysadmins use Linux than windows. MikroTik is a serious router, so.... I think a Linux version of Winbox (Linbox?) should be at the top of the to-do list for you guys.

That said, it does seem to work very well in Wine, but I did notice that drag and drop from router to desktop was working in 5.25 and is not working in 6.0.

Though most of that isn't the real issue. The real issue is that there should be a linux native client.

I'd test on Linux Mint 15 Mate version, specifically.

Oh and FYI, I'm a frequent tester at winehq.org, so howdy folks!

Łukasz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:53 pm

I also waiting for MT apps for Linux.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 pm

I am using The Dude for more than a year now under Wine. And I have gotten used to it. Learned to live with it you might say.

I am not writing this to complain.I have read this topic a dozen times and I know we won't get it as a linux service. Still there are some things that doesn't work. The web server was discussed. But no one mentions the syslog server which I need so I can extend functionality and add some very interesting notifications. But even though I enabled it in the options, port 514 remains closed.

Kreacher

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 pm

The Dude as a free windows program as it is and for 100 € it should come with a
Small Linux distribution as a native for Linux written program that can run as a service!
So we all can easily set up The Dude and many other programs and services as we need it!
Likes a MIB file converter, syslog or syslog-ng server, web server, http proxy, and what ever
else, but in my poor opinion it would be more professional and also running 24/7 stable than
a program under MS WindowsXP! Perhaps all the small programs from the website could be
translated native to Linux as a small suite or as stand alone programs.

Only my 5 cent on top.

kubco2

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello,
can someone share fixpipe.dll from post http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... er#p260107 ?

Thanks,
jakub

keysers0ze
just joined

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi,

Please how to fix dude internal web server access under wine@linux server ?

Does anyone have more info / fixpipe.dll from earlier reply how to solve non working web access : http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... er#p260107

br.

crhylove
just joined

Wed May 06, 2015 9:32 pm

Update: In my latest testing of winbox in wine, the drag and drop functionality totally works! Now the only issue is the font rendering is a little wonky. Is there a font I'm missing that winbox uses on windows that I can install for wine use?

hengst
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Update: In my latest testing of winbox in wine, the drag and drop functionality totally works! Now the only issue is the font rendering is a little wonky. Is there a font I'm missing that winbox uses on windows that I can install for wine use?
Can you tell more about version / linux distro you use ?

you say it totaly works, you mean drag and drop , winbox->linux and linux->winbox

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:29 pm

The real problem here is that the client applications are not written in Java.

KOPRajs
just joined

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm

To tell the truth, between first noticing Dude package for ROS x86 and getting the idea "woohoo, I'll rip it out of there!" wasn't more than half a second for me :wink: The excitement was quickly gone in about twenty minutes when I realized it won't function without some MikroTik process also running in the system. And even if it worked, it would probably violate some licence.
I've got the same idea but I've spent a bit more time on that.

Here is the story (I hope MikroTik is fine with sharing this):

There is a package of Dude agent for x86 ROS. It was removed from MikroTik website as it is not supported anymore but it still can be found on the Internet (search for the dude-4.0beta3.npk).

There are tools for extracting the package (search on GitHub). The current version of the tools doesn't properly support the older NPK format so you need to get an older version (see Issues section on the GitHub page).

The package luckily contains the dudes elf binary and all the needed shared libs. If you are using standard Linux system compiled against ld-linux.so.2 then you are probably missing ld-uClibc.so.0. You need to get it somewhere else (e.g. from ROS x86 system.npk) and place it in /lib/.

When trying to run the dudes.bat you're going to get an error "connect failed (errno=111)". By using strace it is obvious that it tries to connect to a non-existent socket in /ram/novasock. It seems that there is a process /nova/bin/loader running in ROS which creates this socket.

Since I was curious how much dudes relies on that I thought I create a fake socket and see what messages I get from it. So I've created a small python app based on a telnet app example which simply creates a socket, shows the incoming messages and sends replies. It seems that it is using some binary protocol. After few hours I can now partly understand it and I'm now able to send correct reply for the first 2 messages (containing a path to the server database) and make the server create its data folder and actually run! However there seems to be at least 2 things that relies on the /nova/bin/loader from ROS (PING and DNS queries). Whenever the dudes wants to send PING or DNS query it sends a message to the nova socket instead and nova loader sends the results back. Everything else seems to work.

So if we want to run the native dudes from x86 ROS on Linux we need to create a helper app that would create the nova socket and handle the PING and DNS queries for it (and few other messages that I'm able to handle already). The good thing is that there is a chance that this would also solve the ping being either 0 ms or 10 ms problem.

If anyone wants to take the chances and continue in this work I can provide more info, message dumps and utilities, just drop me a message on zdenek.koprivik(at)post.cz. Also it would be very helpful if MikroTik can help us understand its nova loader protocol :wink: (or if they finally decide the future of The Dude and either make the new version or release the source code).