Community discussions

MikroTik App

jmay
Topic Author

Dude not discovering all Canopy devices

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Maybe this is a bug or something I'm doing wrong but the Dude will not discover Canopy subscribers unless their internal NAT feature is disabled. I can manually add the devices and they ping fine so I'm confused why they cannot discover them. I even tried a fresh install of the dude 3.6 on a brand new server running win2003server and still could not discover. I also tried the latest beta build and had the same results. If I try 10 times in a row they might get discovered once but then if delete them and re-discover with the exact same discover options they wont. I can't make any sense of it.

Any ideas?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dude not discovering all Canopy devices

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Which way is the NAT facing? If devices are being natted into your network your traffic from "the dude" will be dropped at the nat since the traffic would have to originate from inside the nat..

dude<-internal<-wifi + nat <- wifiuser. traffic this way works

dude->internal->wifi | nat -> wifiuser. Does not work, traffic can't originate from outside the nat to inside the nat.

Just a guess but is this the trouble?

jmay
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:39 pm

The nat is on the customer side. Canopy module receives a public IP address and nats private IP's on the customer side using the public. There is a 2nd IP address on the Canopy module that is used for managing the device. This is the address I am scanning. This address is not natted in any way. Strange thing is if I add that management address manually to the dude it pings it fine and can read from it via snmpwalk and everything, it just won't find it during an autoscan. If the module is not natted (as some of our customers use their own routers) then the canopy modules are discovered just fine.

jmay
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Maybe a clue, if the default SNMP profile is set to the Canopy profile which is using "Canopy" as the community string they don't get discovered. If I set the default to no snmp profile then they are discovered. Only problem is I gotta manually change each sm to the canopy profile afterwards. Any idea why that might be happening?

karina

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:31 pm

I have exact same problem but not with canopy. My network has a mix of cpes from different vendors, the majority being ubiquiti. Every Ubiquiti device is discovered correctly on every scan without fail, as is other vendors except one. Believe it or not I have trouble with the microtik devices on my network. Like you I can manually add the nodes to a map and they are monitored fine, The dude just will not discover them during an Autoscan. I have gone through the CPE configs time and time again with no idea why this is happening. I am beginning to think there is a problem with mixing CPEs from different vendors but cant understand how that could be.

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:56 am

I HAD the same issue. Here is the solution: Change the SNMP timeout! Go into Settings, SNMP and increase the timeout. Although our network has some really low latency, I just cranked the timeout up to 10ms and suddenly I had devices showing up that would not show up when NAT mode was enabled.