Re: Dude v4beta3 released

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:47 pm

+1.

soulflyhigh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Bloody hell (please pardon my French and bad English).
If the number of developer's staff is the only problem find/hire one more (or two).
Even if they are novice they can do minor changes/bug fixes and will eventually make some real progress.
The effect of their work could be enormous for all of us who use your software/hardware products.
It's unbelievable that a company of such size as Mikrotik is today doesn't have enough resources to do it
(or wisdom to realize the potential benefits of bug-fixed/updated Dude).

The idea of opening source of The Dude (in my opinion) is unrealistic because of too many reasons.

So, dear Mikrotik, please hire someone to continue work on The Dude, there is a lot of us willing to act as a free beta testers.
Thanks in advance (for being reasonable).

Regards,
M.

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Since my post I have been reviewing many other monitoring tools. After a lot of reading and testing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ng_systems I have decided on Zenoss, Nagios and ICINGA came close second equal. I'm currently installing and migrating my monitoring and mapping data across and exploring some of the other useful tools available in an actively developed and supported product.

500+ Devices, 30+ Maps, 20+ Subnets, SNMP, Graphing, Performance data and whatever else I can get across from 6 years of Dude Data. Along with the rapid growth we're having all based on Mikrotik kit.

The Dude does (did) so much for me and I may continue to use it for smaller sites and client monitoring but as my business grows I need the assurance of a product that is not only actively maintained and developed but where the operating comapny is honest and open with development to the community it is supposed to support.

A (great) Free product managed badly does more damage to your reputation than a good paid product. I always thought Mikrotik was better than that, It was exciting to be part of it (since ROS 2.9.?).. now I guess my opinion of Mikrotik is just another ho-hum hardware company with contempt for their customers and lack of engagement. It's not too late... Just reply and let your customers (supporters) know where you're at.

Sorry for the lecture, but really dissapointed.

elxer
just joined

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:03 pm

When dude package will be available for CCR 1036

djmanu
just joined

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

waiting for a new version...
and CCR support

kaipr
just joined

Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Hello there,

I too, would love to see a new version of Dude out, and probing for example IPv6 devices (which would be very useful), as well as fixing bugs, and adding new features.

Thank you, best regards,

Vlasta

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:05 am

Dude has not been updated for years, so I can't promise anything
One last please! PLEASE open source IT or let us pay for The Dude! HELL! HIRE ME TO DEVELOP IT, I know the product the best.
+1

djmanu
just joined

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Dude has not been updated for years, so I can't promise anything
One last please! PLEASE open source IT or let us pay for The Dude! HELL! HIRE ME TO DEVELOP IT, I know the product the best.
+1
+6 Sysadmin customers

winet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:44 am

when the new version is released, it's gonna be like "BBM being released for Android/iPhone" :lol: everyone is gonna cheer up

pdf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 am

Hi guys

we need answers and honestly it looks like a suicide strategy:

1) there is the demand and I guess nobody would complain if you charge 100 Euros/year per dude license
2) there is the code base
3) you can find 2-3 engineers to develop the code and still be profitable

We still don't know the problem about a new version of the dude, and I guess we will never know but let us know what you want to do so everybody can reorganize to monitor our networks.

Let's us know what you want to do asap, or you will loose brand credibility and customer base.

See you in Venice!

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:53 pm

I think a crowdfunding model like indiegogo or kickstarter would be perfect for dude. The only complain is the lack of a official state from mikrotik.

Sandra
just joined

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:11 pm

*) fixed static object crash
*) changed icon
*) some minor fixes
http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php
Mormis pode me ajudar na questão ?

Desejo saber se o dude tem alguma limitação de quantos host podem ser pendurados a ele.

I wonder if the dude has some limitation on how many host can be hung to it.

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:04 am

+1 crowd funding.

I've just been doing the rounds (again) as I always do after a decent network session with the dude, I just can't believe it's been left in the cold to die. If I were to see a roadmap and a new release I would gift Mikrotik $1000, that's what it would cost me per month for some commercial tools to do what I currently do with Dude. Mikrotik could really make some real $ with active dude development... more and more I look for alternatives that do what the dude can as simply and as easily and more and more I come back here to plea with Mikrotik to listen to their users!

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:44 am

In my opinion Mikrotik should fork "The Dude".

Leave the current version as-is and start a new version that has a commercial paid subscription model, this will allow them to fund full-time developers working on the product.

Because "The Dude" is free and does not generate revenue, the owners of Mikrotik are focusing resources on products that do generate revenue e.g. CCR/Routerboard while The Dude is being abandoned.

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:50 am

Which is a shame, a license model would see at least enough revenue to fund 1 Developer. I've talked to many people who have played with it, liked it but been turned off by lack of release support and commitment.

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Count me in as a +1 on licensing. I'd have no problem paying for a license for The Dude if it meant product updates and feature enhancements.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Another couple of licencing schemes that work well for other Network Monitoring systems that Mikrotik might consider for The Dude:

- Free up to X number of devices, then paid per available in licence blocks of 10,20,50 and 100 devices
- Unlimited monitoring of devices but NO advanced features e.g. alerting/upgrading unless paid contract
- Unlimited monitoring of devices but only store 1 days worth of historical data unless paid contract

I guess they need a way to give people a "taste" of The Dude, but still make money from it.

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 pm

I've just been going through all the MSP RMM Platforms

Naverisk
N-Able
Kaseya
Centrastage
GFI
etc...

For a real simple real easy return, what about $1 per device per month. I have 200 devices on my Dude and for active development and bug fixing as well as a clear roadmap I'd be happy to pay per device.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:07 am

Naverisk
N-Able
Kaseya
Centrastage
GFI
etc...

For a real simple real easy return, what about $1 per device per month. I have 200 devices on my Dude and for active development and bug fixing as well as a clear roadmap I'd be happy to pay per device.
wow that's way to much for the dude! these RMM products do patch management, av monitoring, integrated backup etc between 1 and 3/m for the most part. The dude is just a snmp monitor with a graphical representation.

Anyway:
1) working PPC 4.x version?? ever?
2) The Dude *is* effectively dead, it's abondonware.

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:20 am

I know, but with a little effort the dude could do much much more... I said with a decent roadmap.. maybe not immediately... ;-)

tracktor
just joined

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Well, it's a real shame, no respond from the dev team, a great tool that goes to drain.....please release the code or start to charge for support so the tool wont die.....

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:12 pm

Naverisk
N-Able
Kaseya
Centrastage
GFI
etc...

http://www.netxms.org/

Truly the best NMS ever and it runs on Windows or Linux with native builds and agents for each too.

nuf said!

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:18 pm

there's nothing quite like the dude. it's limited in scope, but what it does, it does well. the map with lines representing bandwidth and link status is extremely useful for a micro-noc. I've used 'tik routers to build VPN clouds for business and put a small atom box with a big LCD and dude running in for this purpose.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19 am

there's nothing quite like the dude. it's limited in scope, but what it does, it does well. the map with lines representing bandwidth and link status is extremely useful for a micro-noc. I've used 'tik routers to build VPN clouds for business and put a small atom box with a big LCD and dude running in for this purpose.
NetXMS does all that and more. You can even build a custom dash or put dials and graphs for disk, cpu and traffic monitoring.

Also, it has native agents and clients for Linux, Windows and Android.

There is a web interface for the Linux and Windows builds that I have not used yet, but it looks good.

The support is impressive and you can buy support contracts if needed (in my budget this year).

The developers are serious about the product and they release regular updates.

I have found it to be a very good replacement for Dude.

Screenshots can be found here: http://www.netxms.org/screenshots/
Features list: http://www.netxms.org/details/

I was really angry that MT did not support Dude properly. I am OK again now that I have found NetXMS, it solves all my problems.

Lastly, the software is free and open source!!!!

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 pm

That's a nice list of messages to come to work to after a day off. I'm definately going to try NetXMS. Visually it looks less mature / impressive than the dude, but I can see some quick releases and good support on it.

Cheers for the heads up!

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 pm

pm me if you get stuck. Its harder to use than Dude, but well worth the effort.

guatiki
just joined

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:12 am

We use The Dude as a primary tool for real-time monitoring from version dude-install-0.1beta15 2005.

Currently we monitor a lot of systems of a CPD 1000 square meters and communications equipment from more than 200 clients.

It's a shame if it is abandoned. I think a large majority would be willing to pay to ensure the continuity of the product.

We would, of course.

Why you do not do a survey? I think the result will be surprised.

Rergards from Spain !!

kellogs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 11, 2014 7:12 pm

I am willing to pay for thedude...

come on mikrotik ... do something about it!

Brazd
just joined

Mon May 19, 2014 6:21 am

+500 to all....

Special for old latvians, who was born in USSR and undertand what i mean:

"... и тишина" (с) "Неуловимые..."

But if seriously: it's very bad idea to killing good product.
We all waiting Your reaction on our posts and continue of Dude developing.

mauricioisp
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 am

normis and sergejs please hear us. We would really like to see (and even pay) for a new The Dude version.
Thanks,

dmcdon
just joined

Wed May 21, 2014 7:22 pm

+1

Please let us know what we can do to move the Dude forward. It is a great tool, with a lot of features that anyone running a MikroTik network can find very useful.

We received the new product flyer today. We are looking forward to the new mANT30 dish with the precision alignment mount.

The Dude is more than a device monitoring tool, it gives us a quick look into the Mikrotik equipment configs along with their status.

Please continue to upgrade it, release it SAAS, License it, or release it to open source. Just let us know if we can continue to count on it.

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:23 pm

+1 for new version of Dude.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Everyone wants the dude to be resurrected. Only mikrotik does not.

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:07 am

The Dude doesn't even install on MIPSBE with RouterOS 6.14.

I think that sources of The Dude have been lost, that's why there are no updates, not even minor, for such a long time. The Dude used to be the best monitoring software ever. But it's now dead.

Anybody in charge care to respond?

CCIS
just joined

Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:19 am

Just another +1 hoping the Dude development lives on. We use the dude every day for our 1500+ device mikrotik network.
Have a free version and then a pay version for larger networks to recoup costs @ programmer time.

Or, let us at the code .. open source :D

A few updates that would save us hours daily:
*highlight a bunch of devices on map, and execute cli commands on them all (mass config changes)
*backup config per device easily, automatically
*scheduled auto upgrades
*100 more..

:o

tomekmak

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:04 am

Reading this topic there is one thought: MT staff don't care about Dude. Dude is dead. There is no reasonable response from them about that.

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:32 am

Or, let us at the code .. open source :D
I'm telling you, there are no Dude sources anymore. I can find no other reason for missing such a business opportunity.

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Also it has been removed from downloads http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86094

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Also it has been removed from downloads http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86094
Dude has not been removed. Just non-working RouterOS packages

xtsoler
just joined

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Does anyone else have a problem with the link colors? They are not updated properly when for example the link is full and the full color is set to red, parts of the link become red and not the whole link. It's frustrating. I hope they pick up the development of dude.

Also here's an old attempt of a dude inspired project that I tried:

http://www.jnodes.net

you can create a map and if you allow snmp queries from the ip that the site is hosted, you can get live data.

Scott
just joined

Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Give it up people. This thread has been +1'ing for more dev on the Dude for well over a year, on top of all the other "please update" topics.

And MT's *ONLY* response is to some passing comment to say it is still available for download while managing to ignore every other post? Amazing.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:30 pm

How can we add the device with GPS coordinates then dude will draw on map?

iam8up

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Give it up people. This thread has been +1'ing for more dev on the Dude for well over a year, on top of all the other "please update" topics.

And MT's *ONLY* response is to some passing comment to say it is still available for download while managing to ignore every other post? Amazing.
3 and a half years =P

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:22 am

Normis, can you comment on the company's position in relation to the Dude?

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: Dude v4beta3 released

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:31 am

Kicking a dead horse.

joemenrod
just joined

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:08 am

MT said at the latest US MUM that The Dude "is not dead".

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:46 am

MT said at the latest US MUM that The Dude "is not dead".
and that's all?.. ))

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:47 am

We have a plan to make a completely new dude, that would work with CAPsMAN and have better web interface. Project is still in planning stage.

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:50 am

We have a plan to make a completely new dude, that would work with CAPsMAN and have better web interface. Project is still in planning stage.
AVE, Normis!! AVE, MikroTik! :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Plans. Planning stage. No road map. None can expect anything.

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:26 pm

How long before the next dude would be out? I am looking forward to it. Is mikrotik expanding their programmer base to cope with the workload of handling routerOS variants, dude and possibly other things mikrotik has?

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:20 pm

So, in other words "don't hold your breath" :lol:

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 am

Nothing wrong with current dude. Just needs updates, bugfix, roadmap and communication. I don't think it needs re-created. It's a network tool, dedicated server, doing its thing. You could add a webinterface on it, but why go back to the drawing board?

SystemErrorMessage

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:31 pm

maybe because theres a bug in the core of the program/design or perhaps it is just not competitive. Free software doesnt actually need to stand out, it just needs to be easy to use and work. I really do like to use Dude but i really want there to be server for routerboard such as the CCR so it can be the center of the network and map out networks more effectively while saving power by not having your standard desktops to be kept turned on for monitoring and mapping.

Routerboards use very little watts.

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:35 pm

while saving power by not having your standard desktops to be kept turned on for monitoring and mapping.

Routerboards use very little watts.
Dude doesn't use much for resources. No reason you couldn't run it in a virtual machine on one of your existing servers.

gloriatorios
just joined

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:36 am

+1 well done :)

partovi64
just joined

Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:17 pm

we waiting for new ver dude,it have any problem with restore database(above 100 m in ver 3.6 ) so crash in 4.3

Aveyer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:31 am

I really hope Mikrotik resumes development of The Dude, out of all the network monitors I have tried, The Dude is still by far the best and easiest to use.

icecybe
just joined

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:46 am

Greestings.
For the first of all Dude is the real THE DUDE, easy, fast, and verry functional monitoring software. I try'it and in few hours server are up and monitoring a few hundred of devices. What about bugfix is there one that i can't see here on forum explanation. It : charts, monitoring of the data are almost real time (verry fast) but drawing charts take's a while in i5 core machine is a problem with soft or nework. It there any help for the moment to draw chart's or waiting for bugfix. Also maybe this problem aren't on 3.6 version, but i'm stuck with back-up on 4 version. Any help ?

abis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:46 pm

R.I.P. or we need to wait more years?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:24 pm

You know mikrotik. They do things when they want to. Seems they don't want yet...

fabrix

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:36 pm

Nothing about Dude ???

Normis can you help the community ?

Thanks a lot !! :D

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:20 pm

The latest version is more than 4 years old. :arrow: Please rebirth DUDE. We need it

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 06, 2015 6:10 pm

I quit using the dude for lack of updates, perpetual beta status, etc. wish there were a v5 coming

meconiotronic

Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 am

Please we are waiting for a new version.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 15, 2015 2:55 pm

... and we will be waiting till the death.

snowy1364
just joined

Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 pm

The Dude for Android:

Any one who is using the Dude and has an Android phone should really check this out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wy.thedude

nomercy14
just joined

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Normis, are there news about the new version of Dude?
4 years is a very long time and million things have changed. We are a huge community waiting for something new here...
Please give us some updates...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 am

I have lost my faith.

jonashi

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:49 am

Me too. Sorry to say that. I remember a lot. I was at the first MUM ever. I remember The Dude announcement on MUM Praguje. I remember silence about Dude at tenth MUM in Prague. I have been using Dude till today, however, it seems to be inevitable leave Dude for me now. As I wrote here before, I would be even paying 200 USD for new version and probably I'm not allone in this. I will have to migrate to another system this year.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:08 am

Me too. Sorry to say that. I remember a lot. I was at the first MUM ever. I remember The Dude announcement on MUM Praguje. I remember silence about Dude at tenth MUM in Prague. I have been using Dude till today, however, it seems to be inevitable leave Dude for me now. As I wrote here before, I would be even paying 200 USD for new version and probably I'm not allone in this. I will have to migrate to another system this year.

We would also gladly pay an annual fee or something for an updated and maintained DUDE!

The DUDE is very nice to use, and I do not understand why Mikrotik does not give it more love!

If it is a cost issue, then just set aside/hire own group of developers for The DUDE and make it a separate product, I am totaly sure the userbase of Mikrotik products are big enough and willing to pay for a product like The DUDE if that is what it takes to reignite this project!

So please Mikrotik, RE-BOOT the DUDE PROJECT! It is a testimony in itself that you still have a lot of users YEARS after you stopped developing it!
And I personally do not want to have the hassle of migrating to another solution(But sadly will soon have to seriously consider it after all this time)!

I Love Mikrotik! I love The DUDE! Plz REBOOT! :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:33 am

It is probably more question of willingness than budget on mikrotik side, I think. Or, they are prepairing some surprise for us. Like with android client - there were some requests for that, huge silence from mikrotik and now: Big bang! it is out, you can test the android client using winbox protocol...

Maybe one day, who knows, maybe there will be one big supersurprise with dude v.5.

I wish.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:01 pm

We may wish! ;) And if we are lucky the wish might even come true?! :)

miko5881
just joined

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:41 am

I have been monitoring the MikroTik Wiki and I have just noticed that The Dude change log page has just been updated by Krisjanis reverting the last update by Normis removing all the info related to the 4.0 beta and the info for 3.6. Could this mean something is going on?

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/index.php?titl ... ldid=21000

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:42 am

I have been monitoring the MikroTik Wiki and I have just noticed that The Dude change log page has just been updated by Krisjanis reverting the last update by Normis removing all the info related to the 4.0 beta and the info for 3.6. Could this mean something is going on?

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/index.php?titl ... ldid=21000

We are allowed to hope! ;) :)

itsupportschulen
just joined

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:56 pm

IMG_20150721_140647186_HDR.jpg
:wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Awsome picture! :D lool :D :lol:

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:38 pm

I hope we get the new Dude version soon.
We need to see progress.

The Dude is even better than those paid solutions on the market.

Please put some resources on it.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:56 pm

The latest ros packages are no longer upgradable with the dude [CRYING FACE]

jstump

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Any updates on this?

fabrix

Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:05 am

Any updates on this?
I hope !!!
Any news ????

HaPe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi, any update?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:08 am

Nothing. Like always.

jebz

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:12 pm

You need to put it on Kickstarter. I'm sure this would be a good indicator of desire.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:09 pm

They don't need funds. They need the will. None can source the will from kickstarter .

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re:

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:45 am

They don't need funds. They need the will. None can source the will from kickstarter .
Yes. That's the problem.

But as all competitors start to offer cloud based monitoring/management solutions MT will have to have the will.
Newest announcement is from cambium. I prefer the dude and I prefer a local installed system.
But now I cant use the dude for upgrading as packages are no longer compatible ...

dzyan
just joined

Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Good day, Is there any way to generate ping graphs on the dude?

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Good day, Is there any way to generate ping graphs on the dude?
If you add the 'ping' service on the device you want, then it will generate graphs based on the ping rtt on the History Tab of the device.

Keep in mind though that it's pretty much not usable since if you have other services also it will monitor them too and the History graphs will become unreadable.

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Dear Network Engineers,

i am creating a online petition to ask mikrotik to release The Dude Source code. If you never heard of it, the dude is a extremely powerfull application to manage SNMP networks and devices of any brand. If you like the idea please sign the petition and help us spread the idea.

https://www.change.org/p/mikrotik-relea ... m=copylink

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:29 pm

For some reason I cant seem to find the dude ppc and mipsbe versions on the download page anymore ... where can I download the dude for ppc and mipsbe?

JF

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:02 pm

Dude packages for ros were retracted some time ago due to incompatibility with newer ros versions.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re:

Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Dude packages for ros were retracted some time ago due to incompatibility with newer ros versions.

agree

i have to netinstall some rb2011 and 951g some months ago after installing dude, no more dude on routerboards

snowy1364
just joined

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Any one who is still using the dude and uses an android phone should give this a try: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wy.thedude

cszolee79
just joined

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Anyone checked The Dude 4b3 with newest ROS?

After upgrading from 6.32.3 to 6.33, the [Device.RosVersion] is missing in network map.
So I have a dozen of Tiks and no idea what version they are.

This makes me a very unhappy dude :(

sagevorgyan
just joined

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:51 am

After upgrading from 6.32.3 to 6.33, the [Device.RosVersion] is missing in network map.

Dear cszolee79,
Open Dude settings, go to "Map" tab, open "Device Appearance" and in "Label" part change "ROS:[Device.RosVersion]" to

ROS:[oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrLicense.mtxrLicVersion.0")]

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 pm

Not a problem with monitoring of 6.33 devices by dude 4b3.

I have just moved the dude from one server to another just by file export - import. It was smooth and without any problems.

abis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Dear cszolee79,
Open Dude settings, go to "Map" tab, open "Device Appearance" and in "Label" part change "ROS:[Device.RosVersion]" to

ROS:[oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrLicense.mtxrLicVersion.0")]
Any idea how i can solve this? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cszolee79
just joined

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Hello sagevorgyan,

Unfortunately this did do the trick :( Still empty. Even the device with 6.32.3
Do I need to download something (oid database?)

http://i.snag.gy/55zM1.jpg

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Maybe the combined / individual packages can be the difference. I use individual packages only and do not see any such problem. Try it...

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re:

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:25 pm

I use individual packages only and do not see any such problem. Try it...
Same here.

sagevorgyan
just joined

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:28 am

Hello sagevorgyan,

Unfortunately this did do the trick :( Still empty. Even the device with 6.32.3
Do I need to download something (oid database?)

http://i.snag.gy/55zM1.jpg
Dear cszolee79,

Yes You need to update "mikrotik.mib" file in "c:\program files\dude\data\mibs" folder.
Download it from Here

heydude

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Hey Dudes :-)

We are using The Dude as a local monitoring tool for many devices and special snmp probes. It is really a great and very lean program for such a purpose. Since we started using the dude, its data base file got bigger and bigger and we experienced some missbehave of notifications and other stuff. Instead of a fresh clean install we tried to find a way to clean/repair the existing data base. Mainly because the effort for a full regonfiguration would be to high. So, thats how I found this thread, where at the beginning is described to vacuum the dude.db file (defragment it).
As I tried this with sqlite3, I always had the Error of "unique constraint failed". After some diagnosis, I found that the table <chart_values_raw> was corrupted and could not be editted.

So, I tried to get rid of this and found a way to clean it up.

Hope this will be helpful to anyone...

Dude database maintenance/repair describtion:

Preparation:
A1. Close Dude Service und Dude.exe
A2. Download sqlite3 and create the folder \Downloads\sqlite3 https://www.sqlite.org/download.html
A3. Search Dude database file, such as-> C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Dude\data\dude.db
A4. copy dude.db in Downloads\sqlite3\...

Database maintenance:
B1. start sqlite3.exe
B2. execute <.open dude.db> (open dude.db)
B3. execute <pragma integrity_check;> (perform integrity check)
B4. execute <vacuum;> (defragment database)
B5. in case B3. and/or B4. fails -> go on to "Repair database"
B6. in case both commands run without Error, put dude.db file back in user folder
B7. in user folder, delete any existing <dude.db-journal> and <dude.view> files
B8. start dude and service

Repair database:
<<<All history data will be lost>>>
C1. run cmd with admin
C2. change into sqlite3 directory
C3. execute <echo .dump | sqlite3.exe dude.db > dude.sql> (export dude.db into sql text file)
C4. edit dude.sql file with notepad++
C5. save all lines starting with <INSERT INTO "objs"> into a new textfile <objs.sql>
C5. in user folder delete dude.db , dude.db-journal and dude.view files
C6. start dude (new empty dude.db file will be created)
C7. close dude and copy new dude.db file into sqlite3 folder
C8. start sqlite3 and execute <.open dude.db>
C9. execute <pragma integrity_check;> (check dude.db)
C10. with <delete from objs;> delete entries in objs
C11. with <.read objs.sql> data from objs.sql will be importet into dude.db
C12. <.quit> to close sqlite3
C13. put new dude.db file from sqlite3 folder back into user directory
C14. in user folder, delete any existing <dude.db-journal> and <dude.view> files
C15. start dude and service. all settings will be back, just without history values
C16. as soon, everithing works well, do a backup export out of dude. The new file should be much smaller in size