Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Graph problems when data is not coming from a Mikrotik dev.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Hello guys,

I have a strange problem with the Dude.
For some months now the traffic graphs are very weird.
I cannot explain it well so I am attaching 2 screenshots.

In case of a Linux/Windows device with standard Net-SNMP/Windows SNMP the graphs are with Peaks of X seconds/minutes (on a local device it's every 10 seconds, on an internet device it's every 5 minutes) even though the real traffic is nowhere near that.
dude_graph_error.png
In case of a Mikrotik RouterOS device, then the graphs are perfect.
dude_graph_ok.png
I am running Dude 4 Beta 3 but I've seen this problem since beta 2 (as I said this is going on for some months now)

Do you have any suggestions as to what is causing this behaviour?
Prior to beta2 the graphs where shown correctly.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Graph problems when data is not coming from a Mikrotik d

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:40 am

600kbps is about 0bps, I would be curious what copy or batch job is moving a fairly large file every 30 seconds, 10Mbps. Is the dude collection actually causing that spike? You must be collecting the entire MIB if that is the case... that is what it looks like. Check your probes and make sure they are reasonable.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:47 am

600kbps is about 0bps, I would be curious what copy or batch job is moving a fairly large file every 30 seconds, 10Mbps. Is the dude collection actually causing that spike? You must be collecting the entire MIB if that is the case... that is what it looks like. Check your probes and make sure they are reasonable.
There are no spikes of traffic whatsoever.
This kind of graphs is recorded for ALL devices (except mikrotik devices).

I have graphs from cacti of the same devices and the traffic is smooth as the second graph I attached.

No I do not collect the entire MIB, and this traffic is not real. It does not exist. Only Dude registers it that way.
Cacti does not show those spikes because they don't exist.

It's a default Dude installation with a few devices using SNMP v1 to collect data.
Nothing custom.

What probes have to do with anything?
As far as I am concerned probes do not measure traffic via SNMP which in this case it might is the source of the problem.

As I said, this behavior started after upgrading to beta2 and this behavior is recorded on all kinds of devices except mikrotik routeros.

No one else has this problem? :shock:
I have 5-6 dude installations the last 6 months in different datacenters, with different devices and ALL of them measure the traffic in that manner.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Yes that seems totally odd. Sorry I wasn't trying to point fingers... I meant the dude must be creating that spike by reading too much of the MIB.

Cacti can't record those spikes since it only polls every 5 minutes. The Dude records every 30 seconds.

Everything is collected by SNMP so I am not sure what you are trying to getting at. Since those spikes are every 30 seconds it must be the Dude collection but the amount collected seems like it would be a bunch of stuff. Therefore I think it is likely one of the things being collected is not configured correctly. Since you say it is default and didn't happen before it sounds like the default settings in the dude are suspect.

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 07, 2011 2:11 pm

same problem here too. All UBNT devices have problems in their graphs as spikes shown by the OP, but in Cacti seems just fine. RouterOS devices are smooth in Dude although the polling period is the same for all devices.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2011 1:42 am

Actually I was wrong about the version that the problem started.

I just checked it out and on version 3.6 the graphs are smooth and show the real traffic of the devices monitored.

What might be causing this behavior?

LatinSuD
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 12, 2011 2:17 pm

I had a similar problem.
My solution was increase polling interval from 5 to 10 seconds.

Maybe you should try increase it more (say 60 seconds or more).

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 2:34 pm

I had a similar problem.
My solution was increase polling interval from 5 to 10 seconds.

Maybe you should try increase it more (say 60 seconds or more).
I am not sure on this, but the Polling interval I think does not apply to the graphs (?)
The graphs collect data every 10 seconds and the Polling interval is 30 seconds (on my installation - which I suppose is the default since I never changed any polling values).
Besides that, on the Polling tab on the Dude Server Configuration window it refers to Service Polling and to Probes.
It does not say anything about graphs (unless of course it's just a bad interface design and it's not that clear)

Also if it was a polling interval issue why would the problem only appear on every device except Mikrotik devices (on which the graphs as I posted are just fine)?
And why is it that on Dude 3.x the graphs are working OK with the same settings, and since Dude 4.x the graphs are broken for non-mikrotik devices?

Can anyone from Mikrotik comment on the issue?
It can't be only me having this problem. I tried on on numerous servers (Win 2003, 2008, XP, 7, 32/64bit) and the behavior is same everywhere!

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 2:43 pm

I forgot to mention that the link label with the real-time traffic indicator (I don't know how it's called) shows the real traffic.

So for example it might show 1mbit upload 200kbit download which is real traffic and properly measured, but on the graph it will put something like 10mbit upload and 2mbit download (roughly x10 times the real data).

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I forgot to mention that the link label with the real-time traffic indicator (I don't know how it's called) shows the real traffic.

So for example it might show 1mbit upload 200kbit download which is real traffic and properly measured, but on the graph it will put something like 10mbit upload and 2mbit download (roughly x10 times the real data).
Here is a screenshot of this.
174Kbps is the real traffic that actually runs through that ethernet but the graph shows roughly 520-530Kbps!
dude-false-graphs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bperkic
just joined

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Here is a screenshot of this.
174Kbps is the real traffic that actually runs through that ethernet but the graph shows roughly 520-530Kbps!
dude-false-graphs.png
This is exactly the same problem we are facing in our installation of Dude. I would appreciate to know how it can be fixed, if it can be fixed at all.

Thanks,
bperkic

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Personally I haven't found a solution.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Use wireshark to determine where the traffic is to/from.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Use wireshark to determine where the traffic is to/from.
You insist on something that has nothing to do with the real traffic of the servers.

It's clearly a Dude issue.
Please re-read my posts, I explain it thoroughly and I provided a screenshot showing exactly what I mean.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Sorry Chaos, I thought it was actual traffic. I agree with you it must be some bug of some sort. Just do us a favor and change polling interval to 1 minute to see if the problem changes with the polling interval. I don't have this problem but I only monitor about 20 servers. I do monitor about 300 network devices and have over 1000 probes with polling set to 1 minute.

Also there is a neat java application that will poll the interface counters ever 1 second if you like called "AsItHappens" you can use it to prove the dude is crazy. I don't know what is going on here.

mihaimikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:30 am

I can confirm that this issue is still active today 23.12.2014 for Ubiquity devices as posted by original poster. Increasing or decreasing pooling interval does not affect graphs generated by SNMP. Traffic pulled from Ubiquity devices SNMP looks as periodic spikes.

Edit: This is valid for v4.beta3 not for 3.6.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 am

Yeap, it's still active :(