Community discussions

MikroTik App

Estiaan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

The dude and sms

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi i am fairly new to the dude, i setup an wisp and now i want my dude to send an sms to me, i have read up on email2sms and tried vodacoms service but does not look like it is working, i saw an post where they used "blat" to send out the email, but that aint working aswell, can somebody recommend an service that works?

Where do you set in the dude to send out an email?
My dude server is running on an pc.

Thanks
Estiaan

jwable
just joined

Re: The dude and sms

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:53 pm

*Goto Nottifications
*Open Email
*General TAB
*Setup email server address
*Put in the cell phones email address in the to field (normally something like 5551231234@txt.att.net)
*You need an SMTP server that allows relay
*Advanced TAB
*I check only down -> up, up -> down

John Wable

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:23 pm

*Goto Nottifications
*Open Email
*General TAB
*Setup email server address
*Put in the cell phones email address in the to field (normally something like 5551231234@txt.att.net)
*You need an SMTP server that allows relay
*Advanced TAB
*I check only down -> up, up -> down

John Wable
This helps for "normal problems".

It does not help:
1. when one of your switches/routers between your monitoring system and your mailserver fails
2. when your mailserver fails
3. when your switches/routers between your mailserver and the internet fails
4. ...

Better put a 3G-Stick to your monitoring system and send sms without relying on the systems
you want to monitor.

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:21 am

I fully agree with ste. We use email notifications for most things but use SMS for email or internet connectivity issues. We use a third-party SMS tool (SMS-IT) and a dial-up modem on a PSTN line. A 3G modem would also be a good way but I think you would need a third-party app to send an SMS using it - or can The Dude do this natively?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am

I think you would need a third-party app to send an SMS using it - or can The Dude do this natively?
no, but dude can initiate a SMS program with certain command line options to send the SMS

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:49 pm

I think you would need a third-party app to send an SMS using it - or can The Dude do this natively?
no, but dude can initiate a SMS program with certain command line options to send the SMS
Is there a way to handle feedback of the started sms-sending program?

So if started program fails to send a sms, dude should trigger the program again after
120 seconds.

Stefan

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:52 pm

the "execute" function runs a command on the dude server with the provided arguments and input in the given path, and returns the return code, program output and/or program error output.
executes program, returns array of three elements - return code, standard output, standard error. return code is -1 if error occurs. Only first parameter mandatory. First paramerter - command, second - parameters, third - path, forth - input string to pass to program, fifth - timeout in seconds (default 5.0)

jalokim
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 am

Normis - is there any easy way to send sms from dude by other mikrotik device with usb modem on it?
Let's say that i have a windows machine with dude o ip 10.0.2.2 and alix board with huawei modem on it with ip 10.0.2.3 (i am able to send sms from commandline of this mt).

Or - other question - is there any way that dude will open a url request (GET method) for eg: http://ip/sms.php&content=blablabla

?

Thanks,
MJ

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 26, 2014 6:09 am

Normis - is there any easy way to send sms from dude by other mikrotik device with usb modem on it?
Let's say that i have a windows machine with dude o ip 10.0.2.2 and alix board with huawei modem on it with ip 10.0.2.3 (i am able to send sms from commandline of this mt).

Or - other question - is there any way that dude will open a url request (GET method) for eg: http://ip/sms.php&content=blablabla

?

Thanks,
MJ
Too interested in ROS+Dude sending sms through 3g-modems from mikrotik devices.