Re: The Dude is dead. Move on.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:03 am

I think they do :/

bjorncmtec
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:20 am

I can definitively say The Dude is dead.

I will be getting my own development in place to replace this old and dusty non-supported system.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:26 am

Not so fast. Some new hope did appear during the MUM.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Normis, more information, please.

Regards,

bjorncmtec
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am

I would like to see something fruitful to this statement as we all know well that Users have been requesting and complaining for over a year. Why does it take a face to face MUM for something to happen.

The Dude was also made a topic during the South African MUM, to which Mikrotik had no advertised intention to update The Dude.

I think you should understand the level of Confidence in Mikrotik's development in The Dude is lost

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 am

MikroTik announced CAPs manager, a wireless access point control system, which, maybe, could be also added to the Dude, and during the process, some bugs could get fixed.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:19 am

Could... Could... only conditionals. Ok, so what are the conditions?

Sent from Android by Tapatalk.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:21 am

It is too early to tell. It depends on many things, first, we need to get CAPs running and public. Maybe we will need to make a separate program, maybe we can use the Dude. I'm sorry, but at this point, I have no specific information.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 pm

It is not just as easy as hiring a new person if the people who know the code are busy or have left.
It could also be that Mikrotik considers the Dude should be rewritten at a less hectic time, and only very minor work is acceptable to do now by someone familiar with the code.

Nothing of this needs to be true, just pointing out what could be some reasonable causes for the delay.

Raf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:55 am

Why not opensource The Dude and github it? Looks like MT team has simply no time to manage this free tool. It's not bad if they focus on getting more hardware and bugs squashed in new ROS versions. Opensourcing it should do the job. Could someone from MT team (Normis, Sergejs, anyone else) present such idea to rest of MT team on some sort of meeting and discuss it?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:57 am

Why not opensource The Dude and github it? Looks like MT team has simply no time to manage this free tool. It's not bad if they focus on getting more hardware and bugs squashed in new ROS versions. Opensourcing it should do the job. Could someone from MT team (Normis, Sergejs, anyone else) present such idea to rest of MT team on some sort of meeting and discuss it?
Already done. We are considering all options.

Raf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 am

Then there is a hope :) Fingers crossed!

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Integrate the CAPs to the DUDE and start maintaining it. Dude is a great program. Much better than those paid ones.

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 pm

This is one of the best news i read on this forum in years. At least there´s hope. We are counting on you normis !

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 pm

They have been considering for many years. It can continue to infinity. What hope we can have?

Sent from Android by Tapatalk.

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Can't ... hold.. breat...h.....muc...h.........llloooonnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo

CapsMAN better be awesome, cause it'll take a miracle to save the dude. By miracle I mean acknowledgement and roadmap from Mikrotik rather than rumors. I know from experience if you ignore your customers and keep em in the dark waiting for a explosive announcement when they've been out in the back alley and coffe stands of MUMs looking for crumbs, begging and scratching at the door... that by the time you're ready. They will of moved away..

Sad :(

Even more sad 6.11 dropped my CCR and 6.10 appears to be stable. So I can't try CapsMAN.. whilst I'm at home I'm reconfiguring my UniFi AP's and installing NetXMS (MT is still doing all the heavy lifting). Don't make the mistake of too little too late. Be open, communicate with your minions and your NOC slaves. We need more than crumbs, we crave meat. Glorious succulent juicy Eye Fillet steak slow cooked over 14 hours in an oven that eats WiFi for breakfast.. Not these crumbs you keep feeding us. FEED US NORMIS. DAMMIT FEED US!

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Already presented? What was decided? Nothing? OPENSOURCE the thing already. On things I would love to do is make it work with other databases (SQL Server and mySQL). That, by itself, would open up a lot of add-ons.

Give a developer one week to go through the code and remove anything proprietary, the release it. Make the first initiative be to clean up the code (if needed). Keep Mikrotik person as a reviewer and give the person 2 hours per week to work on The Dude (review other people's work).

bjorncmtec
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 pm

It would be nice to see some sort of feedback or progress.

Until then

R.I.P The Dude.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Sorry, no progress, but not canceled either.

fenek96
just joined

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Capsman already running but dude nothing new. I am full of hope that it will continue to be developed, at the moment too much on the need to combine in order to adapt it to current needs. :)

Bomber67

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Bringing in CapsMan here is kinda sidetrack...what we have been waiting for for years is development of the Dude.
Strange things happen, i.e. probes stops working, labels for links show only Rx[Interface.InbitRate]...no need to say more.
I would pay for the Dude if I could get it up and running as a final and stable snmp tool, rather than waiting and listening to rumors...

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 pm

What about an open source "lite" version for Linux/Windows and a "supported" pro version to make money?
Public development, control of what goes into the code stays with Mikrotik.
It works for a lot of open source projects. Red Hat Linux is a good example, also Asterisk by Digium...

awacenter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 am

To have a proffesional licence as you said it is a good option.

Renin
just joined

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 pm

What about an open source "lite" version for Linux/Windows and a "supported" pro version to make money?
Public development, control of what goes into the code stays with Mikrotik.
It works for a lot of open source projects. Red Hat Linux is a good example, also Asterisk by Digium...
+1, I agree with this, it give an incentive to develop The Dude

Bomber67

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:00 pm

i dont' think so
Why not?

Mikrotik says the Dude is a "besides"-project that they work on when they have time and which they cannot prioritize.
It is obvious they won't get any time either, and therefore cannot do this in favour of other revenue-generating activity.
If they could have an income from the Dude as well, I believe it would be easier to invest dev time in it.

bjorncmtec
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Many people have offered Mikrotik money for The Dude as a supported products they provide. They declined. The Dude has and always will be an unsupported product from Mikrotik.

If you need a proper NMS you should look elsewhere.

The last time The Dude was updated (which is still a beta release) was over 2 years ago.

Bomber67

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Many people have offered Mikrotik money for The Dude as a supported products they provide. They declined. The Dude has and always will be an unsupported product from Mikrotik.

If you need a proper NMS you should look elsewhere.

The last time The Dude was updated (which is still a beta release) was over 2 years ago.
Mikrotik too change their decisions from time to time, and we rarely know before they announce a product.
Stopping the Dude at the Beta stage is not very wise.
At least they could give it a few rc cycles to strip off most of the bugs, and then release a final version "as is" without adding more features.

Which NMS tool do you recommend?
I'd like to deploy a server based tool with SNMP logging, storage and graphing.

bjorncmtec
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:53 am

I am having my own custom NMS developed as the ones available currnently dont meet my needs.

Offhand i can suggest Observium, take a look and see if it meets your needs. You can also use PRTG to an extent.

fenek96
just joined

Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Any news related to The Dude? There are new and interesting things The Dude is standing there. May know something about the amendments to webserv? I have a CF card with ROS and does not want to put The Dude on Windows.

gapc
just joined

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Unfortunately the response from Mikrotik is exactly the same as the last 3(5?) years and I don't believe anything at all will happen :(
This despite the massive demand from customers, obvious business benefits and ignoring the substantial negative perception it creates towards Mikrotik as a whole.

If ever there was a move beyond the "maybe, in the future, sometime, wishy washy statements" they should really consider a crowd-sourcing funding model for the next stable release version as a once-off project. Set funding targets based on bug fixes, features, improvements etc. This funding model will cover any development costs and could be used again for TheDude v5 etc.

(If Mikrotik does not want to have to worry about the significant extra cost of providing support, besides a forum, that is fine with me and does not have to change.)

Please Mikrotik, help us out!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:37 pm

I am sure that mikrotik has enough money to develop dude further. But they just don't want to or can't do it. There was no clear explanation from mikrotik why they have such attitude. Maybe we all would stop crying here if we knew the reason.

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:04 pm

I am having my own custom NMS developed as the ones available currnently dont meet my needs.
Did you look at NetXMS? In which regards did it not meet your needs?

SteveR
just joined

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Yes, that is what we figured out. After intensive search we found CloudView NMS: http://www.cloudviewnms.com . Seems like it can monitor/manage practically anything: SNMP, sysLog, TL1, services, web access, servers.... Remote Web web access via cool HTML-5 web interface from any browser including mobile devices

SteveR
just joined

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:07 pm

We ended up using CloudView NMS http://www.cloudviewnms.com . Seems like it can monitor/manage practically anything:
SNMP, sysLog, TL1, services, web access, servers...). They discovered our network put in maps, Secure multi-user web access with configurable profiles . Alarms forwarding via many protocols (including e-mail) Scalable to thousands of nodes and unlikee others they do not charge as your network grows. They added our device and some other features by our request. Their manual is not that good, but their e-mail support is very enthusiastic. BTW - it runs on any platform and can be accessed remotely from any browser via rich HTML-5 interface

coylh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:14 am

fenek96
just joined

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 am

Any information? Something new about The Dude?

cszolee79
just joined

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Guys I'll send you a bag of pot, maybe even a new rug, just don't let The Dude die! :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 pm

They already did it.

icecybe
just joined

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:27 am

It is a great software, good think'ed need a few thing's to moove on .unix and repair a few bug's. If it is so vital make the Dude commercial and all the problem's are gone, or let source to develop in public. As far as i know , even the big money software didn't come so close to monitoring soft lie u.
ps. think the pot is over, need a new charge P:

paka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:06 am

Hi guys,

we need the stable monitoring system. With old Dude can we not to get it.
is the Dude dead or not yet?

Bomber67

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:10 am

Like I said, Mikrotik is pretty close to something, but for some unknown reason they just dropped it as an incomplete product years ago.
Why not at least strip off the bugs in the existing version?

I hereby invite Normis to give some quality information on this. The situation now is that we are all sitting around a little unsatisified!

suntelSean

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:24 pm

I would love it if Mikrotik would either update The Dude or release another similar product. The main issue for me with the Dude is how slow the map become when adding more than just a few devices.

That and the email component won't work with authentication, which basically nixes email alerts.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:33 pm

I think it's missed opportunity for MikroTik, and a big one. There is something special about Dude. In a way, it's similar to WinBox.

I fell in love with WinBox the first time I've seen it. RouterBoards are nice, RouterOS is otherwise not bad either, but the key feature, for me at least, is WinBox. It's THE way how interactive administration should work, simple, powerful and intuitive. No web administration can ever come close to that, and it includes WebFig, which is kind of nice, compared to other web administrations, but compared to WinBox... no thanks.

Dude did not get as far as WinBox did, I could come up with lots of complaints and improvements, but it was on the right path, before it ended in current zombie state. From time to time I've been looking into replacements, because it doesn't seem there's going to be new Dude any time soon (if ever) and I could use some improvements (IPv6 for example). But the results so far... Last time I spent half an afternoon trying to get stupid CPU graph from one product. I even resorted to reading a manual and still failed in the end. With such competition, Dude could be very successful.

coylh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:55 am

dude.png
The Dude Abides...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bjorncmtec
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:55 am

3 years with no progress, no feedback.

Anyone reading this thread should find another NMS system.

This thread should be locked.

Bomber67

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Talked to the MT guys in Prague and I understood that the Dude programmer is no longer around and they are somewhat reluctant to dig into the code...
According to John they are still considering to make another version, so I don't think all hope is out. :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:13 pm

That's the point. They are considering...

icecybe
just joined

Mon May 25, 2015 11:29 pm

I think why they didn't launch this fo free open source, will be more progress. This this damn program are great to windows. IT will be another ideea to migrate to unix systems. One setup for life :)
Waiting and hope.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 26, 2015 12:22 am

I appreciate very much The Dude, and I want to say "thank you" to Mikotik for that very usefully and easy to implement free NMS.

The dude has helped me to offer to my clients a added value and better service.

Actually I have 10+ virtualized instances of The dude on win xp virtual machines monitoring remote networks.

Thank you Mikrotik

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:47 pm

It´s very sad to see this great piece of software become an abandonware. Every one that comes into my office and see my 50 ´´ screen dude monitoring more than 400 devices in real time becomes impressed with the application. I even integrate it with Google Translator voices, so when a specific tower becomes offline it speaks out loud what is happening. Mikrotik you have done something that even big players like Cisco, HP and Junniper haven´t. You created the ultimate NMS system and release it to the community, i understand that it could be dificult and expensive to mantain it for years and years. Please, just release the source code so we can finish it...

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:03 pm

Dear Network Engineers,

i am creating a online petition to ask mikrotik to release The Dude Source code. If you never heard of it, the dude is a extremely powerfull application to manage SNMP networks and devices of any brand. If you like the idea please sign the petition and help us spread the idea.

https://www.change.org/p/mikrotik-relea ... m=copylink

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:43 pm

I have signed the petition even I do not think it could be better way than this forum.
Keeping fingers crossed.

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:20 pm

I have signed the petition even I do not think it could be better way than this forum.
Keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks Jarda. It´s our last hope... Please, help spread it on social media.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Keeping fingers crossed.
Last hope: May be you can manage MT with Mimosa or Cambium Cloud Managment SW soon :shock:

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Keeping fingers crossed.
Last hope: May be you can manage MT with Mimosa or Cambium Cloud Managment SW soon :shock:
Nice. Let us know when it´s ready.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Sorry. I am not using "social" media at all. They are too dangerous and my privacy is very precious for me. I am not willing to disclose my personal life to everyone or start to be a subject of business.