Community discussions

MikroTik App

fedegil
just joined
Topic Author

How to configure snmp monitor Backup Exec with The Dude?

Fri May 31, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to monitor my Backup Exec 2012 software with The Dude.
I found the following list http://www.oidview.com/mibs/1302/Backup-Exec-MIB.html where the mibs codes are especified.

Somebody could help me to integrate this in the dude?
Thanks in advance
fedeg

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to configure snmp monitor Backup Exec with The Dude?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Download the mib, click on the files tab in the dude, open the mibs folder, drag and drop the mib into the mibs folder. (Wait while the dude compiles the mib, make a backup of the dude data folder first)

SNMPwalk the device, pick the mib from the Module dropdown.

Lebowski

fedegil
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for your reply.
But I see that the .mib files are in a specific format in the dude, but I only have a table with the mibs taken for that link... :(

Example:
backupExecNetWare 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.1
blockingerrormsg 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.1.1
messageobject 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.1.1
errormessage 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.1.2
blockingmessage 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.1.3
warningmessage 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.1.4
informationmessage 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.1.5

From that list, how do I get the .mib file with its format?
Thanks,
fedegil

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Just find it on the backup exec site, also you don't need the mib. If you know the OID you are interested in just use it directly. If the values are not being populated you need to enable the backup exec snmp stuff on the server.

fedegil
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Ok, I found some .mib files in the installation DVD of Backup Exec 2012.
I copied using drag & drop to the mib folder.
I don't how to check that the files were complied yet because nothing new appears related to Backup Exec when trying to assign type of device in 'General/Tips' or making a snmp discover to this IP.
The snmp is activated in the server and in some alerts of the software side.

How can I compile manually?
I restarted the Dude Server service but nothing...

But I think I'm getting closer :)
Thanks!

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:21 am

First I don't know why I didn't say this... You can use the number directly you do not have to have the mib installed. If you know the OID then you can SNMPwalk the device switch to SUBTREE and put the part of the oid you are looking for in then start your walk. This partial oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302 that 1302 is probably the enterprise (company). So if you can't get anything in that subtree the device is not populating the enterprise, try snmpwalk without subtree that should work otherwise you have snmp setup wrong. If enterprise is not populating you might be missing vendor specific software for your box.

Now if you do get entries for 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302 and they all have names instead of numbers you have installed the correct MIB and you can click on the tree tab and see the descriptions there too. Most of the time you do not need to install a MIB to access an OID directly since you can use it by number. There is another place you can examine the MIB tree, forget now...

HTH,
Lebowski

fedegil
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:01 am

Hi Lebowski,

Nice to hear from you.
I did the snmpwalk (using subtree and the Oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.1302) and a list of snmp appeared!

How do I add this to my dude device?
I tried to add this snmp services in the device (the backup exec server by IP), I run a 'discover' and the usual tips are shown (cpu, memory, ping, etc), but this backup exec services not.

Sorry, I'm new at the Dude...
Thanks for your help!

fedeg

gapc
just joined

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:51 pm

If you want to display the status of an OID you can right-click on the device in the map, select Appearance, and press the insert oid button next to the label section. I use this to display temperature readings ect. If you want to be alerted when certain conditions are met you will need to create a probe. There is lots of good info in the documentation for you to be able to do this.

I would like to know what your snmp results for the BackupExec subtree walk is and how you setup the SNMP on backupexec. All I get is the product information results and not the information messages which would contain backup status etc. (I want to be alerted to any failed backups and also display the current status.)

rs2000
just joined

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:05 am

How do you enter enter the OID for an specific item to monitor?
I.e. what are the actual buttons to click, or screenshots?
I can see if you right click on a device you can snmpwalk, but I would like to poll a specific OID.

Cheers

Also is there a site where you can find OIDs for devices like DLink L2 switches and VMWare ESXi hosts?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:08 pm

How do you enter enter the OID for an specific item to monitor?
You build a function to read the oid you are interested in then you use that function in a probe. Study the probe thread...

Lebowski