Community discussions

MikroTik App

chiefbmr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

What is the ideal hardware/software Dude setup?

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:08 am

I've installed the Dude on several different hardware and software combinations. I plan to start from scratch with a fresh install. What is your preferred hardware and software.

I had the best luck with my last server which was an Intel Core I3 running Windows 7 Pro. Then one day it decided to not let me login anymore. I realize that any setup could have its problems, but just curious to see what other people have had good or bad luck with.

joshaven

Re: What is the ideal hardware/software Dude setup?

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:21 am

I have had great luck running the dude 4 beta on windows server 2003 and Windows XP. I would expect it to run well on 7 as well. I almost always run the dude on virtual servers either vmware esxi in a production environment or when just using my computer it's on parallels because I'm a Mac user.

I highly recommend the beta version.

Joshaven Potter
http://joshaven.com
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aacable

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:50 am

I am using Dude from past few years using various hardware including Pentium 4, Corei7, and at my company I am using 4.0 beta3 in ESXI base guest , reserved 2GB RAM and 2 cores. Monitoring about 500+ targets with customized probes, alerts, and other scripts on various triggers.
Working perfect :lol:

The only problem I face is the dude web access which sometimes fails to response and most of my management uses web base interface using mobile or browser to monitor there section.
As a workaround I made a simple dos batch script, which kills dude process and start it again. I scheduled it to run twice a day, morning and night.

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:09 pm

We run 4.03beta as well inside a 2008r2 ESXi guest, monitoring about 200 devices.

All working well, just dont reach the 2gb limit on the DB.

chiefbmr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm trying on windows 8.1 now and can't get a simple ping probe to work. It seems that windows 7 or earlier are most compatible, so gonna stick with that for now.
Thanks for comments.

DLNoah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm trying on windows 8.1 now and can't get a simple ping probe to work. It seems that windows 7 or earlier are most compatible, so gonna stick with that for now.
Thanks for comments.
In order for ping probes to work, the user the Dude service is running as must have Local Administrator access on the machine.

If you're running the Dude with its default installed options, it tends to run in the context of the user that first opened the program. If you want to put it in "Run Mode: as service" mode via the Local Server button in the top/left, you need to have the Dude application opened as Administrator (UAC Escalated mode). Once you've installed it that way, the default run as service account runs as LOCAL SYSTEM, which is an elevated account and should work for ping probes.

At my office, we try to avoid LOCAL SYSTEM services whenever we can to minimize potential security risks, so we set up a separate service account for the Dude's service user. In that case, we have to manually add the service user to Local Administrators, or ping probes and other elements that require escalation will not work (e.g. writing to the Program Files directory, if you installed via the default options).