Community discussions

MikroTik App

ezmuzzy
just joined
Topic Author

A rather specific question about my setup...

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Hey guys, I've been using the dude for about 6 months now on a fairly large network. we have a couple hundred unique devices all being monitored via a dedicated server running around the clock. And for the most part, The Dude is perfect for our needs, it does everything we ask of it and then some(and you can't beat free.) But, I do have a rather annoying problem, I'll probably have to do a bit of explaining first:

I work for a wireless internet service provider, we use big wireless backhauls to feed out to remote locations, and big wireless access points to service customers. Our network physically branches probably about a 60 mile radius or better, we have 2 primary backbones(fiber feeds) at the north and south end of our coverage area. And what this means is that we have some sites that are 4 or 5 "hops" from one of our main feeds, and their might be 10 sites that all depend on one main backhaul. Obviously, we want to know as soon as one of our sites go down, so I have email notifications set up to go to our cell phones in the event of a total outage. And basically what happens is, when a site goes down, we only get the notification that the primary dependency has failed, which is excellent, working as intended. Then what happens is when that site comes back up, all of a sudden we might get hit with 20 notifications when the other sites behind that one come back up. So the dependencies work correctly when a site goes down, but when it comes back up it freaks out and the dependencies go out the window. I've tried thinking about this logically, and my initial solution was to stagger the "waves" of pings that are going out. IE set a primary link on like a 8 second delay, then set the next link behind it at 9 seconds, then continue up as you go down the line. I thought this would resolve the issue, but it seems to have no effect.

How can I cut back on the unnecessary notifications?

rhance
just joined

Re: A rather specific question about my setup...

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:50 pm

I would also be interested in getting this to function logically correct. I have the same issue for years and I just learn to ignore the flood after a dependent device or link comes back up.