Community discussions

MikroTik App

hunterriebl
just joined
Topic Author

Please Help, Can't discover anything with ping!

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:19 pm

When I run The Dude and I try to discover any of my networks ping shows nothing, but when I scan by service I have everything pop up. I even tried to ping something that was added by service and it can't hit it. Please help me out. I don't need to know the service, just what is where and ping is so much easier. Any ideas would be appreciated!

DLNoah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Please Help, Can't discover anything with ping!

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Though you haven't specified, I'm assuming you're running The Dude on a Windows platform of Vista (or Server 2008) or newer. If that is the case, the following might be the source of your issue:

In order for ping probes to work, the user the Dude is running as must have Local Administrator access on the machine. If you're running the Dude with its default installed options, it tends to run in the context of the user that first opened the program. As a practical matter, this means that if you just open the program with the shortcut, it will run without escalation and will not have Local Administrator privileges. Right-clicking on the shortcut to choose "Run as administrator" should generate the UAC prompt when you open The Dude and then allow pings to work.

If you want to put it in "Run Mode: as service" mode via the Local Server button in the top/left, you need to have the Dude application opened as Administrator (UAC Escalated mode). Once you've installed it that way, the default run as service account runs as LOCAL SYSTEM, which is an elevated account and should work for ping probes. At my office, we try to avoid LOCAL SYSTEM services whenever we can to minimize potential security risks, so we set up a separate service account for the Dude's service user. In that case, we have to manually add the service user to Local Administrators, or ping probes and other elements that require escalation will not work (e.g. writing to the Program Files directory, if you installed via the default options).