Community discussions

MikroTik App

dpal80
Topic Author

Monitoring Draytek Routers

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Hello Everyone, I am new with the DUDE and I find it wonderful.
I have already configured a new server with most of all my routerboards installed at customer sides.

The problem is that in most cases, for older installations, we were used to installa t customer side DRAYTEK routers such as 2820, or 2710.
They do Have SNMP management, but I cannt succeed in monitoring those routers from my DUDE server.

Is there any guido to help me to do this?
Is there anyone who managed to do that?

For now, I found at draytek websites snmp mibs files and I copied it in the files_--> mib folder of the dude, but I do not obtain any response.
Of course I have enabled SNMP monitoring at router side.

Thanks all

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: Monitoring Draytek Routers

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:29 pm

The dude is dead, sorry.

dpal80
Topic Author

Re: Monitoring Draytek Routers

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Really?? I can't believe

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Really?? I can't believe
Its not dead, but not being developed anymore either...

See this: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 19#p425819

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:25 pm

The way to monitor unknown devices is to build your own probes. It is most likely that this companies routers were never added to the dude but you can quickly determine if SNMP is working by right clicking on the device and select SNMPWALK. If the screen fills up with entries I guarantee you can monitor these devices.

When you SNMPWALK any device that supports the generic DOD intenet MIB "iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysDescr.0" or "1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0" is the very first result. This is the system description and it will be text and not numbers since the DOD internet management MIB is pre-installed. With that in mind you will see numbers for any entry that you do not have a MIB installed for. Also you do not have to have the MIB installed but now that you have you should see the SNMP entries as text instead of digits. Since the MIB gives you text entries you should be able to search for things you are interested in by name like "temperature" also the MIB will allow the Dude to know what kind of MIB entry it is reading i.e. a number, or a gauge, or an octet string. This allows it to format the data correctly BUT you can still use MIB results without having the MIB by using the string directly.

Further down is private.enterprise where the MIB you installed will show what specific entries apply to that enterprise.. Here is Cisco's first entry which is teh boot loader description ... 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.1.0.

So you should be able to build your own CPU probe and if they followed the DOD internet MIB standard the interfaces should show the correct utilization automatically. So you should be able to add a link from your router to a switch and see the utilization after selecting the up-link interface. If your switches are managed and you can't get the routers to be managed you could use the up-link interface from the switch to determine utilization and just Ping the routers.

If you have to build you own interface counters you will have lots of fun there :) search the forum for "Rate".

Lebowski