Community discussions

MikroTik App

Krister
just joined
Topic Author

I made a mistake probing a customers network

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:28 pm

I work for an ISP and due to poor communication between us, our customer and our customers SAAS provider, which has led to poor mapping of our customers network, I decided to do a probe on the entire network in order to hopefully find unmapped nodes. This turned out to be a very bad idea.

While I set a specific IP range to search within, the Dude apparently searched a good chunk of the Class A range (1.0.x.x to be a little more exact) and there are now somewhere around 11500 IP addresses in the devices list that have no business being there. On top of this quite a lot of the devices listed have errors that causes our customers system admins email to get flooded with error messages to the point of having to completely shut down the entire system, leaving us without a means of monitoring the network remotely. While disabling error messages would have been the ideal aproach, neither the system admin or myself know how to do this (this is something I should be able to figure out myself through documentation, although a push in the right direction for information wouldn't hurt).

Now, here comes the real issue. I seem to be unable to remove any of the devices from the list from within Dude, neither multiples, nor singles. Is there a way to remove device entries outside of the application, either through config, or log files, or possibly through an attached database? I normally consider altering said files manually a big "don't", but I see no other option due to the Dude not being able to handle it itself.

As far as the exact version of Dude, I can not tell at the moment since I currently don't have access to it, but I'm assuming it's v4.0

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: I made a mistake probing a customers network

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:10 am

Restore previous backup,

because you have done one backup, first, right?