Community discussions

MikroTik App

kraic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Latency on the Dude device icon- problem

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi, I tried to put latency " Ping: [ping(device_property("FirstAddress"))] ms " function on the icon of the devices on Dude, and I did it with this code that is shown up there.. but it shows me same ping for all devices. What should I do? Is there need for some extra actions ?
I get same results on all devices, like on this photo.. All devices same numbers ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kraic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Latency on the Dude device icon- problem

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 pm

I solved it by using this:
Ping: [round(array_element(ping(device_property("FirstAddress")), 0))] ms

but now I have 0ms, 16ms or 31ms on all devices. I have 130 RB's and all of them show 0, 16 or 31ms... Is this ok,, ad is this real ping ???

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:29 pm

There is something wonky about RTT in the dude, if you just put the ping probe on a device and watch it, it will have the the same RTT for days but each time you manually reprobe the RTT will jump to a different value and stay there. Most LANs have 1ms or less RTT where a T1 line has about 8ms and the RTT for a packet going from Los Angles to New York is ~200ms. The RTT in the dude seems to be abnormally high and consistently wrong. You can manually ping from the command prompt to find the correct RTT from Windows or Linux. So I never use RTT for performance measurement. If I have a CPU counter or some other probe I do not even put ping on the device and I only use ping to prove the box is reachable.

Lebowski

kraic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:51 pm

OK thank You