Community discussions

MikroTik App

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Recommended Replacement Network Monitoring System??

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:55 pm

I am looking for recommendations for a system to replace The Dude. We hit the 2 GB database crash limitation and have to either rebuild The Dude (having lost all historical data) or try something new. The inability to do SNMPv3 properly was a constant headache.

Funds are limited, but the solution does not have to be free.

Must support:
  • SNMP v1,v2,v3
  • Multiple visual map representations
  • Multiple subnets
  • Graphing
  • Logging
  • Alerts
Sorry to see The Dude go, but lack of development plan and the DB issues are just too much. Thanks for the suggestions.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Recommended Replacement Network Monitoring System??

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 am

Nagios, PNP, NagioSQL, cacti, mrtg, ...

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:11 am

Go for NetXMS.
Its got a bit of a learning curve, but once you do learn it, it can do wonders.

I have deployed Nagios, Cacti and Zenoss before. We now only deploy NetXMS.

Its got everything, dynamic L2 and L3 maps, full logging (syslog, snmpTrap), graphing, treshold alerts, custom alerts, very good scripting language... I could go on...

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 pm

I was really interested in Intermapper.

Still nothing like the dude so just don't let your file reach 2gb or do daily backups...

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 am

PRTG

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 am

PRTG
Is it possible to do ROS-Updates of CPEs with PRTG?
In dude we upload the package, select ROS-Devices and then click update.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:22 am

No it is not. You need Dude for that, or a script

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 pm

No it is not. You need Dude for that, or a script
Just playing with a demo of PRTG. Used to the dude it is quite cumbersome to get used to prtg. It looks good and has a lot of options but what I am missing so far:

- Maps with submaps to click through our network
- links with traffic numbers.
- Simple add a SNMP-Oid in Appearance (I guess I have to write a sensor for PRTG to do this)
e.G. I want the number of connected CPEs beneath the APs Icon
There are a lot of windows/cisco sensors but nothing for wireless (Signal, Connected CPEs, ...).

Can you show some real life screenshots of your installation/maps?

Thanks,
Stefan

djdrastic

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Currently on Zabbix but slowly moving towards NetXMS . If only NetXMS's graphing was as good as Zabbix's one :(

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Did some NetXMS test. Very promising but ... seems there are some bugs. Deleting alarms took a long time and then throws timeouts. Found this bug reported in an older version but found it in the newest. Will try next version again.

Still TheDude is the best. It's a real shame there is no further development.

xcom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Give Observium a try.

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Did some NetXMS test. Very promising but ... seems there are some bugs. Deleting alarms took a long time and then throws timeouts. Found this bug reported in an older version but found it in the newest. Will try next version again.

Still TheDude is the best. It's a real shame there is no further development.
I suggest creating a forum thread on NetXMS's forums, they are really helpful.
Currently on Zabbix but slowly moving towards NetXMS . If only NetXMS's graphing was as good as Zabbix's one :(
What features are you missing in graphs? I am pretty happy with our graphing setup using NetXMS:
http://s27.postimg.org/lyqr75s1v/some_Graphs.jpg

JJX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:21 am

A combination of naios - cacti

MarkSawyer
just joined

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Try CloudView NMS http://www.cloudviewnms.com . This is what we started using for our customers. They answer e-mails pretty fast and added some features per our request. Runs on windows/linux/mac. Also it has remote web browser client

MarkSawyer
just joined

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:36 am

We use CloudView http://www.cloudviewnms.com . BTW, also tried some of the above mentioned but only CloudView had what we needed out of box. It also supports all the features you mentioned, in details:
- SNMP v1,v2,v3 -yes
- Multiple visual map representations - yes
- Multiple subnets - yes (of course)
- Graphing - yes (pies, bars,lines, speedometers) to show real time and historical data
- Logging - yes
- Alerts - yes (via multiple protoclos, including e-mail)
- many others

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Is there any NMS that can be run as PHP application on webhosting server?

I mean, I have bought webhosting with mysql, php and so, but without access to system itself. Can I use it as NMS (well, problably problematic without access inside the networks) or at least for checking accessibility to my services running publicly around the world?

I guess it looks as silly question, but anyhow, maybe someone point me on some interesting application.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

xucraig
just joined

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Is there any NMS that can be run as PHP application on webhosting server?

I mean, I have bought webhosting with mysql, php and so, but without access to system itself. Can I use it as NMS (well, problably problematic without access inside the networks) or at least for checking accessibility to my services running publicly around the world?

I guess it looks as silly question, but anyhow, maybe someone point me on some interesting application.

jarda,

I don't know if there are any web hosts that allow this, but you can do it pretty easily with a virtual private server. This is how we do our monitoring. We use a Digital Ocean VPS and have it connected to our network via VPN to do internal system monitoring. It adds a bit of latency to be sure, but we're such a small operation that it was a worthwhile tradeoff for us to not have to have something internal to worry about.

There are a number of other VPS offerings out there (Linode and Low End Box are other ones that get mentioned frequently), and Amazon has a one-year-free tier. All of them give you a range of operating systems to install, and then you have full administrative control over your instance.

Right now, we run Zenoss Core on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS at Digital Ocean. I'm not too thrilled with Zenoss, but I like the setup nonetheless. We host it on the $5/mo server.

craig

MarkSawyer
just joined

Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Is there any NMS that can be run as PHP application on webhosting server? I mean, I have bought webhosting with mysql, php and so, but without access to system itself. Can I use it as NMS (well, probably problematic without access inside the networks) or at least for checking accessibility to my services running publicly around the world? I guess it looks as silly question, but anyhow, maybe someone point me on some interesting application.
You wrote: "webhosting..., but without access to system itself. " - So I am pretty sure the answer is NO. If you buy Virtual Private Server (as service), you can do it with any NMS which has reasonable web access. We actually do it with CloudVIew NMS . We run CloudView NMS server on VPS. CloudView has embedded web server and a pretty powerful web client (actually choice of web clients)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks for answers, I thought that that just webhosting will not be enough. Of course, virtual server hosted somewhere with tunnels would be fine. 5-6 USD per month looks cheap but if I have running pc anyway within my networks, no need to hassle with that.

Since the Dude does not run on Mikrotik devices I will keep it running on a PC and keep my service accessibility alerts using Overlook on my android phone.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:08 am

Why do you move from zabbix? After playin with different systems Zabbix looks very promising. It is very fast and I did not run into errors. The autodetection system is very flexible. The graphing is great. With Netxms I run into some problems. Starting the client is quite slow.