Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hotz1
Topic Author

ROS 6.20 wiped out Dude server

Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:31 pm

The Dude server on my network is an x86 machine. It was running fine under 6.19, monitoring well over 100 devices on 8 submaps.

I upgraded it to ROS 6.20. After that point, it would "actively refuse connection" from all the same Dude clients it used to work with before.

I downgraded it to ROS 6.19. Now it lets clients connect again--and my map is gone.

Uh, guys? Upgrading ROS isn't supposed to break The Dude, and downgrading certainly shouldn't wipe out the network map and create hours of rework!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ROS 6.20 wiped out Dude server

Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:34 am

You didn't regular exports from dude for backup reason?

Hotz1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:17 pm

1) Since 4.x, I have never lost configuration, even through major version upgrades.

2) Last I heard, exporting configuration with Dude 4.0b3 could crash the system and wipe out the map.

Now that I'm searching for answers, I'm finding this is happening to many people. The only mention of Dude in the 6.20 release notes was the ability to see & remove the Dude package. I realize this was probably an unknown effect at the time of release, but when a new release is causing widespread destruction, shouldn't MT either a) pull the software; b) release a new version without the problem; or c) contact users to warn them?

As far as I could tell, this was an ordinary release like any other--certainly no risk to a machine running nothing but Dude! Right? :?

So I upgrade, and now no clients can log in. Then I downgrade, and I'm greeted with a blank map. Just like dozens of others, evidently. There has to be a better policy than caveat emptor when upgrading ROS.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:59 pm

I am running 4b3 dude on Windows and pressing export quite often. No data loose. When I migrated dude from host to host I just imported last backup and it worked as expected.

Hotz1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:39 am

I am running 4b3 dude on Windows and pressing export quite often. No data loose. When I migrated dude from host to host I just imported last backup and it worked as expected.
I believe the problem was with x86 machines running ROS. Do I dare risk crashing my Dude server to see if export works--today? Will the next release irretrievably brick ever mipsbe board?

There has to be -some- level at which we can count on ROS (and the upgrade-downgrade process) to work without causing damage; and when people discover that something does cause damage, to bring it to the attention to the user base immediately and proactively, so that more people don't keep falling into the same known trap.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:45 am

You can test out of production first. And from my experience I can suggest running dude on Windows rather than on ros.

mrphreak

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:32 am

The Dude hasn't been supported on ROS for quite some time, the package isn't even available for download anymore.

Hotz1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:43 am

The Dude hasn't been supported on ROS for quite some time, the package isn't even available for download anymore.
The release notes for 6.20 suggest that Dude on ROS wasn't completely off their minds:
  • *) fixed problem - it was not possible to see & uninstall dude package;

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:58 pm

If you were following this forum, you could know that in 6.19 it was not possible to uninstall the dude from ros. This is not taking care about dude but just about ros. Nothing more.

Hotz1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:17 am

If you were following this forum, you could know that in 6.19 it was not possible to uninstall the dude from ros. This is not taking care about dude but just about ros. Nothing more.
Sometimes I follow the forum closely, other times not as much. The bottom line is, there was no reason to expect that upgrading and downgrading ROS this time, unlike all other times, would wipe out the Dude configuration; and when the problem became known, MT didn't immediately release 6.21 with a fix, or pull 6.20, or mail out updated release notes with a warming, or do any of a dozen other things they could have done to keep more of their user base out of a bind. It isn't good communication when the only time you hear about problems is from the user forums.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:34 am

Yes, you are right. Mikrotik just made step forward in the dude devastating. Change logs are still something that mikrotik does very badly. Then user needs to read almost everything on this forum to get clear picture as good as possible.

elmer

Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:29 pm

My config gone too, but with 6.19 - export don`t work as well, but sometimes...
After open Dude in windows machice, do it fast! (Works for me)
Click export button keep your finger on "enter" to immediately save backup :)
Sometime Dude closing connection, then save window not appear.