Community discussions

MikroTik App

erreferre
just joined
Topic Author

How to import devices from archive

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:43 am

We have Nagios as our network monitoring tool for all types of devices, but we need something more specific for mikrotik routers. First, we have thought in The Dude, but we have no time for add our devices one to one (we have thousands).

How can I import devices from archive (for example with: IP, name, user, pass) to The Dude?. Can I export devices from Nagios to The Dude? Somebody try this?

Thanks.

erreferre
just joined
Topic Author

Re: How to import devices from archive

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:03 pm

No idea?

Where are the configuration files of The Dude?, any file is editable?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:56 pm

Here are a few ideas...

You could start a new dude server then manually add a single device to it then select it and click the copy button when you copy a device it is actually a text section of XML. If you paste that into notepad you could decipher the XML and create a script that could generate XML of each device and possibly paste that into the dude directly... I don't know at all if this would work.

In the dude 3.6 the device file is directly XML so you could use 3.6 to add devices to the XML file directly and then upgrade to 4.3. In 4.3 it is a database that is also compressed. To date no one I know has actually extracted the XML from 4.3 and edited it and re-imported it.

The dude is designed to auto discover but that is a tricky task since you have to fine tune the discovery also it will hit weak CPUs very hard with snmp requests. If I had to discover a couple thousand devices I would go through configuring "allowed" and "required services" (the intended way) for each device so that each device type would be discovered correctly and the services I would like added would be added as well. Also I would only discover a small portion of the network at a time and further find tune discovery until it worked seamlessly. After auto discover worked I would turn it off and delete the networks these will need to be made by hand. Take screen shots of your allowed and required services for each device type so you could have a template to create a new dude server with a lot less testing effort.

Lebowski

erreferre
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:03 pm

In the dude 3.6 the device file is directly XML so you could use 3.6 to add devices to the XML file directly and then upgrade to 4.3. In 4.3 it is a database that is also compressed. To date no one I know has actually extracted the XML from 4.3 and edited it and re-imported it.
Thanks Lebowski. I have installed 3.6 and now I can add routers from a file. I only have to add "<Device>" elements on XML export file, and import after. I need more time to learn in depth, because "<Device>" elements have associated "<NetworkMapElement>" elements, "<itemID>",...

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 pm

You want to make sure to change the ID for each device so that it is not confusing the program but other than that I don't know what else needs to be unique.

Let us know what/how you end up doing it, it will help others.
Lebowski