Community discussions

MikroTik App

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

How to monitor remote network?

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:59 pm

I have my first requirement to use the Dude to monitor a remote network. Up until now, for testing, I've just been establishing a VPN to the gateway and then running the Dude as if it were local, but because this forces all my other personal traffic through the remote system, it is undesirable in production.

According to the wiki, to do this, I need a Dude npk package for the remote gateway machine. The wiki says this package is available for download on the Dude page, but I don't see it. It doesn't seem to be included with the Windows Dude install package.

If I log into the Dude demonstration system using the instructions provided, everything works fine, but when I examine the packages in the target machine, I don't see any Dude package resident, which is doubly puzzling.

I thought possibly this indicated that the Dude functionality might now be integrated into the system package as of RouterOS 6, so I just tried entering the remote address and user information, but when I open the firewall port on the remote server and just try to access it over the Dude, I get "Error: Connect failed: No connection could be made because the ta..." [sic], which isn't very helpful.

How do I set up the Dude and the remote gateway properly so that I can monitor the remote system from outside itself?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to monitor remote network?

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Don't you read this forum? You would know that dude is not supported for many years and there is no hope to see it working in ros again soon. Install it on windows where it works fine.

Establish tunnel with correct routing for remote monitoring by dude. .

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:40 pm

This is not a helpful response. Clearly the Dude works enough to do what I want to do, because I can access the Mikrotik demo system remotely. I just need to know how to set mine up to work like theirs.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:30 am

@macsrwe
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude/Agents
Unforunately MikroTik removed Dude packages (.npk) from web page, due to incompatiblity with ROS 6.x :(

HTH,

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:47 am

MikroTik's Dude demonstration system is running ROS 6, it works, and system packages don't include a Dude package. So how is it working? Hopefully I could do mine the same way they are doing theirs now.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:15 am

MikroTik's Dude demonstration system is running ROS 6, it works, and system packages don't include a Dude package. So how is it working? Hopefully I could do mine the same way they are doing theirs now.
To be exact ROS 6.16rc3. Maybe this version works fine with Dude package.
Here is Normis' answer to your question about compatibility:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 50#p432129

Regards,

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:26 am

I wrote the truth. Sorry it was not considered to be as optimistic as you expected. I spent so much time with trying to make dude working reliably on ros that I can honestly tell you: install it on windows and forget the dude in ros. The way I suggested to you is the same way I use it.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:37 am

I don't understand your advice to "install it on Windows." Of course I have it installed on Windows. But I'd like to be able to use it to access a remote network, by gateway address. Sure, I could establish a permanent tunnel between our network and the remote network, but that means importing their address ranges into my network's routing arrangement, plus headaches with firewalling issues, and I would really rather avoid doing that.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:51 am

I understand that because I had the same concern. I ended with tunnels because I didn't want to put other windows server into the distant network and all networks have different addressing so there is no need for many rules.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:21 pm

I run Dude/Winbox from a Windows 7 VM running on a Mac under Parallels. Previously, I was creating the temporary VPN connection on the Mac and Windows would inherit it, but this forced all my unrelated traffic over the remote system, which was undesirable. I am now pursuing an alternate strategy whereby I create a VPN connection inside Windows instead. This leaves the Mac traffic free from redirection, and since I use Windows only for Mikrotik work there is practically no unrelated traffic in the VM. Creating a PPTP VPN tunnel in Windows is apparently not as easy as creating one in Mac OS (I am getting error messages from Windows claiming that GRE is being blocked somewhere) but if I can successfully establish this VPN, it will satisfy my requirement.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 pm

I use tunnels between the border routers of the networks directly, so I have no problems like you.