Community discussions

MikroTik App

Drugsoul
just joined
Topic Author

Is it possible to add devices based on the information obtained by the route getting through SNMP?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:38 pm

Hello
Is it possible to add devices based on the information obtained by the route getting through SNMP ?
For example, I added a new route in router configuration and want to appropriate network was drawn in The Dude map.
In general it is possible to automatically add devices based on any information obtained through the SNMP ?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is it possible to add devices based on the information obtained by the route getting through SNMP?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:20 pm

No but it is easy enough to have auto discover go extra hops...

Drugsoul
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Is it possible to add devices based on the information obtained by the route getting through SNMP?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:43 pm

No but it is easy enough to have auto discover go extra hops...
Could you tell more about auto discover ? This is a stand-alone solution or plugin for The Dude ?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:43 pm

The wiki has tons of information but the dude will search a range of addresses and ports. When an ip and port are found the dude will "connect" a probe and add that device to that map. You can assign ranges to discover and extra hops go past router boundaries. So if you specify 192.168.1.0/24 in auto discover and set hop count to 2 the next 2 neighbor networks will be scanned. Care should be used when scanning networks since you can peg cpus on older weak equipment or if you scan a BGP router the entire table will be downloaded.

Just read the wiki and search this forum, most questions have been answered.

Lebowski

Drugsoul
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:43 pm

The wiki has tons of information but the dude will search a range of addresses and ports. When an ip and port are found the dude will "connect" a probe and add that device to that map. You can assign ranges to discover and extra hops go past router boundaries. So if you specify 192.168.1.0/24 in auto discover and set hop count to 2 the next 2 neighbor networks will be scanned. Care should be used when scanning networks since you can peg cpus on older weak equipment or if you scan a BGP router the entire table will be downloaded.

Just read the wiki and search this forum, most questions have been answered.

Lebowski

Thank you, Lebowski. before I wrote here, I read the wiki and search similar topics on the forum but cannot find helpful information.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:49 pm

It is surprising that auto discover is not better documented. It is really good for finding things and adding things to maps but beyond that it needs some bugs addressed. Like it will add networks that have already been added.

For me I didn't want every possible probe added to every device so fine tuning what gets automatically added took quite a bit of clicking. Once I had the correct configuration of required and allowed services for a given device type I found that manually adding devices and setting the device type then click the discover button under the services tab to be my favorite way add things. If you auto discover or manually add devices you will want to configure required and allowed services for each device type that way things that get added or discovered will get setup exactly how you like.

Lebowski