Community discussions

MikroTik App

RackKing
Topic Author

Dude newbie needs help to monitor remote routers ........please

Wed May 27, 2015 2:39 am

So,

I would like to know how to use the dude to monitor remote routers, mostly rb2011s. I would like to get an email if a 2011 goes missing. I am using windows and can run on a server.

I would maybe grow into other things - but right now I just want to watch remote installations and know if they go down and come back up. I have read through this thread and The Dude looks remarkable - just need to get started.

Thanks in advance.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 am

Have you tried to use tunnels between your devices to have clear access to them?

RackKing
Topic Author

Re: Dude newbie needs help to monitor remote routers ........please

Wed May 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks Jarda -
Have you tried to use tunnels between your devices to have clear access to them?
If you mean can I Winbox into them remotely - yes. Is tunnel something you start on the Dude?

I am just not sure how to get started...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 28, 2015 7:16 am

No. Tunnel is a way how to transparently encapsulate one kind traffic into another. You can simulate a wire running over the world from one of your device into another appearing like they would be side by side with direct wire in between. Then you can logically use it how you need.

RackKing
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks I appreciate the lesson and information.

Can you tell me how to setup The Dude to monitor other routers on connections to let me know when they go up/down?

Are you saying I do that with a tunnel?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 28, 2015 3:37 pm

No. You can use whatever ip address in dude to be monitored as device. The question is if you are able to reach such address. This is something that tunnelling could be helpful with. Dude itself is not able to make tunnels, but it is running on some computer that could be able to do the tunnels and routing or you can make tunnels from the main gateway of your local network. It depends on your topology that you have not shared yet.

RackKing
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi jarda -

I simply do not understand what you are asking me in regard to tunnels. I am at work behind a router. I have an RB2011 remotely I can access through a wan IP. I can access it through winbox. I have all services on the router off, so SSH, telnet, etc... are all off. My winbox port is the only one on.

So - I can reach the router at the remote address. Does this answer the questions?

I am just sure how to set this up on the Dude - or maybe I am confused if this is something the Dude can do.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 29, 2015 8:44 am

Ok,
I understand now that you want to monitor a device that is accessible by you.

Just add a device by clicking "+" on the map, select "add device" - according to your language, I am not using english, then fill the ip address, username and password for winbox, tick those two options below (security and router os) and press next. Then press detect button, wait a while until all lines are marked "OK" and then press finish.

Now the device is in the map and you can manage its properties as you want.

You should read manual at first.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude

RackKing
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2015 12:35 pm

thanks - this worked sort of - I will check the manual to find more information. The wish the manual was setup in more of a "how to" fashion.

Anyway - when I add the WAN IP address or DSN name it finds it, but only ads a DNS service. Do I need to ad the router IP?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 29, 2015 2:53 pm

You have to note that Dude is not supported by Mikrotik for many years. None takes care about it, so it is how it is with all around. The best way is to use your mouse pointer and explore a bit around to see what it does and how.

You will find it very powerful and easy to use (especially together with ROS running devices), but with many complications also . It is on you if you invest time into exploration and find a way how to live with it or not. Just be mind opened and you will see. I started years ago with Dude without reading anything and now I am quite happy with it for what it provides to me.

Do not be afraid to click everywhere... :-)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Anyway - when I add the WAN IP address or DSN name it finds it, but only ads a DNS service. Do I need to ad the router IP?
This should terrify you. DNS should not be available from outside!
Look how to secure DNS, it is hundred times discussed problem here on the forum and maybe the most common attack vector. You have to block UDP and TCP incoming to port 53 from wan interfaces at least!