Community discussions

MikroTik App

jwfrazzetta
just joined
Topic Author

Performance issue

Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:13 am

Hello and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

I have a 10gbit fiber connection from my ISP here at my house.

I was previously running pfSense on a server that I built to facilitate routing. There are just a few minimal filter rules.

However, I couldn't seem to get more than 800mbits per individual connection (e.g. single HTTP download.)

Not unfamiliar with Mikrotik's equipment, I purchased and configured a CCR2004-16G-2S+ router. I installed two 10gbit SFP+ transceivers for WAN and LAN. I am not using any type of bridging since those are the only two ports in use.

I'm extremely surprised that with all firewall chains disabled (filter and raw), I am only able to get 500mbits/sec per individual connection. With the rules enabled, 350mbits/sec.

I have to be missing something here? Why would this device have 10gbit SFP+ ports if it can barely route 500mbits? I have to be doing something wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Performance issue

Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:27 am

The CCR2004-16G-2S+ id more of a switch than it is a router.
The The CPU is a 4-core 1200-MHz AL32400 ARM 64-Bit CPU. This CPU is OK for simple routing , however I suspect it is not fast enough or powerful enough to handle routing & firewalling & NATing at near 10-Gig throughput rates.

On my 10-Gig BGP interfaces ( and all of my 10-GIg internal routers ) are Mikrotik CHR routers ( with the unlimited license ). My CHRs are blow-you-mind fast ( if you are running the CHR image on a High end fast server such as 3+ GHz Zeon CPUs in a VmWare ESXi server.

Something you might want to take a look at is a x86 Mikrotik. They can also be quite fast ( if you have 10-Gig interfaces on your box ). There is also a trial license you can get for CHR and/or x86 ROS ( Mikrotik routers that can be powered with an Intel Xeon CPU.

North Idaho Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Performance issue

Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:34 am

Take a look in these Mikrotik forums and go to General --> Public-Mikrotik-Bandwidth-Test-Server(s)

I maintain a Mikrotik CHR speedtest server. Although it has 10-Gig interfaces to the Internet , I limit it to somewhere around 3 to 9 Gig. Read the rules and understand how often you can test b4 it will quit talking to you ( a forced waiting period ) .