Community discussions

MikroTik App

keefe007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Shortest Path Bridging (SPB)

Sat May 10, 2014 1:40 am

What are your plans to add Shortest Path Bridging (SPB)?

I would really love this feature!

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Shortest Path Bridging (SPB)

Sat May 10, 2014 7:52 am

+1 on this!

Would love to see SPB and/or TRILL come to RouterOS. Don't forget LISP as well :-)

eflanery

Tue May 27, 2014 8:00 pm

+1 on SPB/Trill, and even LISP

Regarding LISP, it's technically a great idea, and I would love to see it implemented, but...

<rant>
LISP is already a well-known acronym, for the venerable "List Processing" language. Why, why, why did 'they' need to overload it?
Separation of location and identity would be awesome, bringing some SS7-like capabilities to IP, but did 'they' really need to call it LISP?

While we are at it, how about a new next-generation FTP-like protocol called Formidable Transfer (FORTRAN for short)?
Or maybe a new alternative to OpenFlow called Just Another Virtual Architecture (i.e. JAVA)?
:?
</rant>

--Eric

larsen01
just joined

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:49 pm

+1 on both SPB and LISP

SPB would be a really killer protocol for mikrotik. It's lightweight. However it does require the isis code and that might be a showstopper since it isis isn't supported today.

LISP on the other hand is already in the linux kernel so.

=)

selric
just joined

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 pm

SPB!

claudionei
just joined

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:58 pm

SPB Now!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:32 am

This could be useful sometimes. I would like to have SPB too.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:49 pm

Given that this is a layer2 functionality - and that Mikrotik would rather drink bleach than implement something as simple as IGMP snooping.... I wonder if this would ever really happen.... although SPB is a lot sexier than IGMP snooping, right? . . .

sup5

Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:49 pm

You can use almost all features of SPB right now by simply implementing MPLS with VPLS and/or VRF.

So I doubt Mikrotik will ever introduce SPB, because a similar Layer 2/3 abstraction service already is available.

But introduction of IS-IS and MPLS-FRR would be very welcome.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:19 pm

reviving this thread instead of starting a new one.

I would also like to see SPB.

Yes, you can do a lot of what it can do with MPLS alphabet soup, but it's a LOT more engineering and maintenance effort.

SPB can be effectively plug and play. Minor and simple configuration on devices.

It's also 'out of the way', ie it's almost 'just a bridge'. incredible simple to implmenent and no need to separate out access from trunk ports for a basic setup.

That also makes it less error prone and less of a mountain to climb to fix a broken network like MPLS can be.

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:08 am

Not to mention MPLS is very broken on MikroTik.... After years of dealing with sporadic mismatches in forwarding table that causes unreachable customers/devices/routers i've resorted to completely ripping MPLS out of our MikroTik network. It's just not the right way to run a business having to randomly reboot up to half the routers in the network to re-establish connectivity for 1 client, solely because MPLS has a forwarding table bug

loloski

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:39 pm

+1
+100 for EVPN/VXLAN

We can dream on :)

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:10 pm

Not to mention MPLS is very broken on MikroTik.... After years of dealing with sporadic mismatches in forwarding table that causes unreachable customers/devices/routers i've resorted to completely ripping MPLS out of our MikroTik network. It's just not the right way to run a business having to randomly reboot up to half the routers in the network to re-establish connectivity for 1 client, solely because MPLS has a forwarding table bug
Agreed. MPLS works, but you have to suffer a lot of issues to learn what you can and can't do and compensate. It's certainly not seamless. It's also layers on layers, just makes for more complex training to get techs to handle it.

SPB is a bridge that has better logging in it's most basic form and uses IS-IS on layer 2 which is also basically just 'turn it on' in it's most basic form.

For an *ISP it's a preconfiguration for the most part and then adding extra metric on backup/slower interfaces. More complex solutions also possible but I think the simplest model is good enough for the 90% and would really help a lot of operators. It could help expand the technical pool to maintain things for sure. I would for me, i can train someone to look at the SPB logs to see a problem and more importantly they can solve link issues without worrying about getting IP addresses and VLANs correct etc.

I think SPB is the better and more widely supported protocol so I pick that over TRILL or LISP and it's already supported in the hardware on some of the mikrotik models with Marvell chips.

IMO, SPB is the easiest thing to implement on mikrotik on specific hardware because it's just exposing hardware features and writing front end for the most part. Only real concern is if they had to pull in a software implementation for unsupported devices. This is why I also request SRv6. IS-IS+IPv6+SRv6 is also really simple to implement and can provide tunneling and traffic engineering.