Community discussions

MikroTik App

davidreaton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Assign Ethernet port to VLAN

Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:17 pm

Background: An RB4011 is my main router. I have configured VLANs there for my Guest and IOT networks, and these work as designed. For home IOT control, I use Home assistant on a RaspberryPi. I want this device on VLAN 30, the IOT VLAN network. I borrowed a CSS326 switch, and set an ethernet port to VLAN id=30, plugged in the RPi, and it worked perfectly. It was easy - using all defaults under the VLAN tab, I just changed the default VLAN id to 30, and I was done.

I have an RB2011 I want to use in the same way, just as a switch, no routing, all ports under the bridge. I want to simply assign one of the ethernet ports to this VLAN. I've read lots of posts about this, and tried a bunch of different configurations, with no success. This should be simple, but I'm missing something. I don't care if this is done in the switch chip or in the CPU.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Dave

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Assign Ethernet port to VLAN

Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:24 pm

CPU-way: viewtopic.php?t=143620 (it's a bit extensive, but with pretty good examples and good explanation)

Switch-way: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:B ... _switching ... in particular section "4 Other devices with built-in switch chip" (it's official documentation, so refrrence information. Examples IMO are a bit worse explained, but should help get things done)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Assign Ethernet port to VLAN

Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm

RB2011 as a switch, - viewtopic.php?t=182276 ( just ignore the wifi bits )