Community discussions

MikroTik App

Juan15
just joined
Topic Author

Can you create an entire OSPF network when all routers are connected via radio-link?

Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:05 am

Hello everyone.

Few a days ago i started my internship and one of my task is to change the entire ISP network from static to dynamic, they told me OSPF routing is what they want so i have been working on some isolate emulations with the part of the network and everything was going really good till they presented me the entire network and like 90% of the connections are via radio-link from what i have read OSPF need physical connection to work, i know you can make use of virtual links too but for the entire network? Doesnt look pretty optimal to me to be honest also i try it but wasnt able to do it.

So what i wanted to asked was can you made an entire ospf network when there's barely any physical connections?

Also i want to apologize for my bad english.

Thank you : )

jprietove
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Can you create an entire OSPF network when all routers are connected via radio-link?

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:42 am

Wireless networks are also PHYSICAL connections. So YES, you can use OSPF.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can you create an entire OSPF network when all routers are connected via radio-link?

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:45 am

Look at it from another angle:
What do you think Starlink is ?
I don't see any wires going from Earth to each and every satellite... entire networks rely on Starlink nowadays.

So yes, wireless connections (whatever technology) are just as good as any other means to have networks constructed.
If they are equally reliable/resilient/... that's another question.

Juan15
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:24 pm

Hello, thank you both for your answer. I honestly didn't know wireless links also counted as physical connections so I was really worry about how to do it. But now that you told me that, i know what to do.

Thank you.