Community discussions

MikroTik App

madez
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware Idea for Multiport USB4-to-USB4 Ethernet Switch

Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:44 am

Finally, USB4 requires all hosts to support host-to-host connections. Since I've known that, I thought about this as an affordable way for short range networking. That is how I arrived at the idea of a multiport USB4-to-USB4 ethernet switch. Maybe mixing with RJ45 and SFP ports would make it more useful.

What do you think?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hardware Idea for Multiport USB4-to-USB4 Ethernet Switch

Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:45 am

Interesting concept.

Are you sure ALL USB4 requires this though? Not just the Thunderbolt3 component of it ?

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:28 am

The first model to get this treatment should be the hAP ax Lite, turning its 5V-only USB-C wannabe port into a true data port with multi-voltage PD. Plug it into a laptop and it’s bridged to the RJ45 ports.

madez
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:20 am

Interesting concept.

Are you sure ALL USB4 requires this though? Not just the Thunderbolt3 component of it ?
Microsoft documents Ethernet connections via USB4 from host to host here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... onnections and Wikipedia states that it is a required part of the USB4 specification for hosts and hubs to support host-to-host.

I agree that this is interesting because this would give multiple 20gbit/40gbit Ethernet connections on many devices with cheap cables. It seems to be a small revolution and I can't wait to see Mikrotik build network devices with USB4 ports for this.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:01 pm

This is really interesting idea, especially for all these new laptops that lack proper network card. Using stupid dongle is annoying and it gets really expensive when you want more than 1Gbit/s. And USB4 or TB3 to 40Gbit/s QSFP adapter? Just google it, price is in complete WTF range...
So nice mikrotik tabletop switch with few USB4 and also other ports and options would be very interesting. QSFP28 module with USB4 port on it would also be pretty slick solution, as you would be able to use all of the CRS/CSS range of devices, mixing ports as needed... perfect for lab short range use.