Community discussions

MikroTik App

XRise
just joined
Topic Author

Router's wan and lan link to same switch via vlan, but packets get lost.

Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:50 pm

Em.. i have a asus router and two CSS610 switches(master and slave). For some reason, i made the following(vlan2->vlan200, hand mistake):
problems.png
router ax6000's wan and lan port connect to master switch's eth2 and eth8, master switch's eth1-7 and sfp1-2 belongs to vlan1, eth8 belongs to vlan200
slave switch's eth1-7 and sfp1-2 belongs to vlan1, eth8 belongs to vlan200, and slave's eth8 connect to one pc.
master's eth1 connect to up internet router(also dhcp server).

But the pc could not connect to internet, packets sent by pc got lost.
The purpose is that both master and slave's eth8 used for subnet of router ax6000.

The master and slave configured as following:
master01.png
master02.png
master03.png
What i thought is that the packets from slave's eth8 transmitted to master's sfp1 are forwared to master's eth8 by vlan table. But the fact seems that the packets maybe forwarded to master's eth8 sometime and other time the packets are forwared to other port(maybe master's eth2, the ax6000's wan port? same mac address?)

Thanks for any ideas~~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Router's wan and lan link to same switch via vlan, but packets get lost.

Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:38 pm

I am doing similar at home. All ports on the router connect to different VLANs on the same switch. Works fine.
Couple comments. First is I HIGHLY recommend NOT using VLAN 1. Although SwitchOS has no issues with it, a lot of devices treat VLAN 1 as "special". Often with undocumented or poorly documented features. Best just to avoid VLAN 1 unless absolutely needed.
Second, personally I would restore the Port Isolation tab to default. Let the VLAN switching take care of that.
Third, on the VLAN tab, I would set SFP+1 to VLAN Receive of "only tagged" since it is being used strictly as a VLAN trunk. On VLAN trunks, I normally set the Default VLAN ID to some unused "dummy" number - I generally use 970 + the port number. Also, no need for the "Force VLAN ID" checkbox.
However none of that should have prevented it from working. Confirm that the AX6000 is not expecting (or even understanding) VLANs. As the switches are set, the AX6000 should have the WAN and LAN ports using untagged traffic.

XRise
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:47 am

I am doing similar at home. All ports on the router connect to different VLANs on the same switch. Works fine.
Couple comments. First is I HIGHLY recommend NOT using VLAN 1. Although SwitchOS has no issues with it, a lot of devices treat VLAN 1 as "special". Often with undocumented or poorly documented features. Best just to avoid VLAN 1 unless absolutely needed.
Second, personally I would restore the Port Isolation tab to default. Let the VLAN switching take care of that.
Third, on the VLAN tab, I would set SFP+1 to VLAN Receive of "only tagged" since it is being used strictly as a VLAN trunk. On VLAN trunks, I normally set the Default VLAN ID to some unused "dummy" number - I generally use 970 + the port number. Also, no need for the "Force VLAN ID" checkbox.
However none of that should have prevented it from working. Confirm that the AX6000 is not expecting (or even understanding) VLANs. As the switches are set, the AX6000 should have the WAN and LAN ports using untagged traffic.
Thanks. I will try setting vlan1 to vlan100.
Ax6000 all ports are using untagged traffic.
I have tried the Third advice that set slave or mater switch's SFP+1 to VLAN Receive of "only tagged" and then i could not access the slave swith( SwOS lite web page), but the vlan seems still work.So i have no idea and just set SFP+1 to to VLAN Receive of "any" again....

I dont know if this post viewtopic.php?t=121459 was related with the trunk port that could not pass through the swos native untagged traffic.

XRise
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Router's wan and lan link to same switch via vlan, but packets get lost.  [SOLVED]

Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:17 am

I found that css610 does not supports "independent vlan learning", so when router connect wan an lan to the same switch, there are two ports using same mac address.Eventhough they are in separated vlans, but sharing the same table which leads the communication issues.
I changed the ax6000's wan port mac address(Special ISP Option) and then this case works around. :D

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:43 pm

I found that css610 does not supports "independent vlan learning", so when router connect wan an lan to the same switch, there are two ports using same mac address.Eventhough they are in separated vlans, but sharing the same table which leads the communication issues.
I changed the ax6000's wan port mac address(Special ISP Option) and then this case works around. :D
Are you telling me that both WAN and LAN ports on the AX6000 router show up as the same MAC? How lame!