Community discussions

MikroTik App

drupol
just joined
Topic Author

Capsman - Prevent a device from connecting?

Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:18 pm

Hello,

I've recently started using Capsman, having been a Mikrotik user for several years. I'm really impressed with it and regret not delving into it sooner.

At home, my goal is to strike a balance between providing Internet access for my children and maintaining manual control over it. Our home network setup is illustrated in the attached drawing:
Untitled-2023-10-31-1015.png
In this setup, all Mikrotik devices are centrally managed by Capsman on the Audience router. This arrangement has been working fine since this morning.

However, I'm facing a challenge on the 2nd floor, where the children spend most of their time. I want to exercise specific control over their Internet access. Before integrating Capsman, managing this was straightforward. The Mikrotik HAP AC on the 1st floor had its own Wi-Fi network, which we could easily enable or disable just by plugging or unplugging it! That was easy for me and my wife to do that.

Since switching to Capsman, the Wi-Fi networks have become somehow unified. Now, even if I disconnect the 1st floor's Mikrotik HAP AC, the devices on the 2nd floor automatically connect through the Audience router. This change has made it impossible to manually control Internet access as we used to.

Could you suggest a solution to manage the 2nd floor's Internet access effectively? The idea is that when unplugging the 1st floor HAP AC, the kids devices (phones, computers, tablets) should not be able to connect any more.

I have a couple of ideas:
- How to prevent the 2nd Floor device to connect to the Audience?
- How to create a group of device (using their MACs) to prevent connecting to the Audience only?

Maybe there are better ideas, feel free to let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.