MikroTik App

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Warranty cover for failed PSU

Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:28 pm

Hello,

I've got an RB1100AHx4 that has been in production use for about 200 days.
I've recently noticed that one of the PSUs reports random voltage values as low as 6v, which means that it has failed.
The unit still works fine since it has dual PSUs, but it obviously needs fixing.

I contacted my supplier for a replacement PSU or a unit replacement under warranty (it hasn't even been a full year since I bought it) and they said that they there's no PSU available for this model, and that the unit cannot be replaced under warranty because PSU failures are not cover by it.

Is this true?
Has anyone has a similar experience with a failed PSU?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Warranty cover for failed PSU

Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:36 pm

In the part of world where I live (EU), only consumables are exempt from warranty. And consumables (in IT world) are things that any user can replace. And only those consumables, which are expected to be worn out. Power supply is not one of them IMO. So if your dealer claims that PSU is not covered by warranty, they have to prove that the damage was due to external influences (e.g. due to lightning strike).

So either power supply is a FRU and your dealer can ship you a replacement unit (covered by warranty), Or power supply is not FRU and dealer has to fix it (in their service outlet).

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:41 pm

I'm in the EU as well, so we are bound by the same laws you describe.

The PSU in RB1100AHx4 is not user replaceable and the unit has been operating in a large datacenter with proper UPS, Generators, A/C, etc. There's nothing in the power supply coming into the unit that caused this. The unit hasn't even been rebooted since it was installed 200 days ago.

Most likely some capacitor has failed, as was the case with the older gen CCR1036's, since it shows the same behavior (the voltage has dropped).

What is "FRU" ?

I just wanted to see what other users' experience has been with such failure and if the supplier doesn't cover it under warranty I would then bother MikroTik itself with the matter to hopefully step in and resolve the situation with my supplier.

Thanks.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:12 pm

What is "FRU" ?

Field Replaceable Unit

I'd open a ticket with Mikrotik support, providing evidence of your communication with official distributor in which distributor denies the warranty, and ask them for any instructions on how to proceed. And I fear that the key here is "official distributor", a reseller might not be good enough.

NetTecture

Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:51 pm

Let me be a little snippy here.

* A PSU is not consumable. Consumable is anything that is consumed - brake discs on a car are (outside their expected lifetime), liquids in cooling. PSU is not.
* You do NOT have a faulty PSU. You have a failing unit. There is no user replaceable PSU, so it is "router failed, please fix". You made the mistake asking for a PSU fix - there is no PSU there, this is a singular unit and the dealer likely does not repair but replace.

Anyhow, not your problem - tell them the unit failed, please fix.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:09 am

Since MikroTik does provide replacement PSUs for other models (e.g: CCR1036), that's the reason I mentioned the PSU instead of playing dumb like not knowing what's the issue.

What's annoying is that I shut down the unit to move it to a new rack in the datacenter, and now it reports for both PSUs 24V without fluctuations.
So for the time being I cannot do anything about it until the PSU fails for good.