Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gvidos
just joined
Topic Author

Capsmanv1 upgrade to v2

Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:08 am

Hello.
I'm using this router RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN with CapsManv1. Is there any option to upgrade to Capsman v2 so it could be used together with cAPGi-5HaxD2HaxD?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Capsmanv1 upgrade to v2

Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:11 am

Not this model, no. It's a little too old for that.

Ca6ko
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:26 pm

Please don't be confused by the terms
CAPsMAN v2 is working starting from RouterOS v6.22rc7.
CAPsMAN v1 is discontinued starting from 6.37.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CAPsMAN

WifiWave2 CAPsMAN
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... ve2CAPsMAN

You need to configure the Capsman v2 to CAP AX and connect 2011 as a device on the older Capsman v2.

@Normis
Rename the wifi wave2 Capsman to Capsman v3. So that people are less confused. After all, wifi wave2 refers to wifi 5, and this capsman supports wifi 6 and hopefully will be and wifi 7.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:52 pm

Please don't be confused by the terms

IMO you're making confusion ... everybody around here already forgot about the pre-6.37 capsman. I guess nobody is still using ROS older than v6.37 (and cares about upgrade to wave2 ...) so your arguments are moot.
And "capsman for wave2" is neatly shortened to "capsman2" but capsman3 would really be confusing (3 what?).

Gvidos
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:28 am

Thanks.
so upgrade it is.

Gvidos
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:45 pm

Edited: allready found answer to my question
Last edited by Gvidos on Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nullcaller
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:18 pm

IMO you're making confusion ... everybody around here already forgot about the pre-6.37 capsman. <...>
And "capsman for wave2" is neatly shortened to "capsman2" but capsman3 would really be confusing (3 what?).

I found it a little bit confusing when I was trying to find information on the wifiwave2 capsman.

The real v2 CAPsMAN is simply called "CAPsMAN" in the latest release of ROS 6. So you naturally assume that it is in fact "CAPsMAN v1", unless you witnessed the true v1. So you thus also naturally assume that the new one should be called "CAPsMAN v2". But that just brings up the old wiki on the old new CAPsMAN, which isn't particularly helpful.

And nobody really calls the new new CAPsMAN "CAPsMAN v2". It's just "CAPsMAN" once again. In YouTube videos, MikroTik just calls it "the new version of CAPsMAN", or "CAPsMAN evolved" that one time. It is indeed "Wifiwave2 CAPsMAN" in the old 7.12 docs, and everyone will understand you if you call it that right now, but in 7.13 docs it's simply "WiFi CAPsMAN".

Which is a really helpful distinction, because the previous versions of CAPsMAN were, of course, wired. (/s)

Calling the new CAPsMAN "CAPsMAN for wifiwave2" or (god forbid) "CAPsMAN2" after the release of ROS 7.13, will be a bit confusing down the line, when eventually ROS 7.23 and 7.36 is released. What wifiwave2? Wifiwave2 is a term ROS no longer uses. Old MikroTik devices were made to last. They're gonna be very much alive and in use for years to come, so unless wifi-qcom-ac comes to MIPSBE devices, a distinction between two CAPsMAN versions must be drawn.

Personally, I am rooting for "CAPsMAN Too" to be the new official CAPsMAN name, because this would make it even more of an unnecessarily confusing meme for ROS 7 newcomers than it is now, and would open up exciting new possibilities for ROS 8 CAPsMAN to be called "CAPsMAN Either" and ROS 9 CAPsMAN "CAPsMAN Similarly". (/s, "CAPsMAN v3" is perfectly fine, IMHO)

Gvidos
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:46 pm

I realy like this line, but why wifiwave2 package can't be found on newest release, but only in 7.12.1 and older?
Can some one please explain?

Compatibility
Due to storage, RAM, and architecture requirements, only the following products can replace their bundled wireless software package with wifiwave2:
hAP ac³ (non-LTE)
Audience and Audience LTE6 kit
RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD*

Nullcaller
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:40 pm

I realy like this line, but why wifiwave2 package can't be found on newest release, but only in 7.12.1 and older?

Long story short, wifiwave2 is dead, all hail wifi-qcom[-ac]. Use wifi-qcom for new devices, wifi-qcom-ac for ARM-powered older devices. For really old ones, use the 'wireless' package.

New CAPsMAN is in the 'routeros' system package, old CAPsMAN is in the 'wireless' package.

The 'wireless' package doesn't provide drivers for new 802.11ax-enabled devices, i.e. wifi interfaces won't work.

And I gather that you can't install 'wireless' and 'wifi-qcom[-ac]' at the same time. So on new devices you choose between having old CAPsMAN support and having your WiFi interfaces being able to run.

On older ARM-powered devices you're essentially choosing between the new and the old CAPsMAN, with some other functuonality or lack thereof thrown into wifi-qcom-ac. On older non-ARM-powered devices you don't choose, because there's no wifi-qcom-ac for them.