Community discussions

MikroTik App

TimIngalls
just joined
Topic Author

Router boot process hangs at error "router was rebooted without proper shutdown"

Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:18 pm

I have one RB4011iGS+ and two CRS328-24P-4S+ devices. Whenever I have a power outage, my devices hang at the beginning of the boot process. Power is on, but no lights blink on the ports. When I log in via a serial console cable, I see the error that is something like "system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown." The system will not continue the boot process. It is waiting for acknowledgement from the user--I can't remember the exact prompt--but until I indicate with a Y for yes or hit the <ENTER> key or something, the system will not proceed to boot.

I would like to see if there is a way to turn off the need for user intervention to move past the error. My users are non-technical, so asking them to get out a serial console cable and connect it to a laptop is a non-starter. This basically means that the entire network is down until I can arrive on-site to console in or perform some other physical intervention. Is there an option in the BIOS or somewhere that would bypass the need for user intervention? Maybe it could be changed to an error message with a countdown timer, and after the countdown it would just proceed to boot.

I do already have a UPS power backup, but there is only so much battery capacity. If I do not solve this issue, MikroTik does not seem to be a valid commercial option for my customers.