Community discussions

MikroTik App

matamouros
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik wifi disconnects on my MPB when continuity camera from iPhone

Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:09 am

Oooh boy, I know... Apologies in advance for the apparent heresy of the subject line, but I'm just baffled and any pointers would be great.

My home network is rigged up with mikrotik, I have an RB4011 as my main router and CAPsMAN manager, and then a few cAP acs in various rooms for coverage, obviously managed with CAPsMAN. Wifi is pretty standard, dual 5GHz and 2.4GHz with some custom rates that I know work for my home network (not that it's that relevant but 9Mbps+ for 2.4GHz and 24Mbps+ for 5GHz). This has been working for a few years, with some minor adjustments very sporadically (last time I changed anything was maybe a year back).

If anyone uses Macs and iPhones, I have a MacBook Pro on latest Sonoma, and just got recently an iPhone 15 Pro. Everything connects fine to the home wifi. But when I start FaceTime on the Mac and the continuity camera comes on (that feature where you can use the iPhone's camera on the Mac), the Mac just disconnects from the wifi, every 5 seconds or so. I'm completely baffled. Ethernet connecting the Mac doesn't have this issue at all, so it's something with the wifi. I've tried every single thing that Apple recommends to make this work, including making sure that no Airplay is active, sidecar, etc, etc, etc. It's the wifi.

Not much hope anyone will just solve it for me willy nilly, so any pointers at all on what I could use to troubleshoot what the hell is happening myself?

Much appreciated.

Kentzo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Mikrotik wifi disconnects on my MPB when continuity camera from iPhone

Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:44 am

See the "process:airportd" in the Console.app and /var/log/wifi/log. Might give you some hints with respect to disconnects.

matamouros
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:20 am

Unfortunately I can't make sense of anything that goes to either of those places. A lot of activity in process:airportd, literally dozens or even hundreds of entries per second, and fine combed it for a while trying to catch the moment the disconnects happen, but I don't think I managed to see anything of relevance... So a dead end there, at least for me.

I did in the meantime figure out something new I hadn't realised before. This really only happens in my living room which is covered by the wifi on the RB4011 (which is the CAPsMAN). In the other rooms of the house which are all covered by cAP ac, this doesn't happen at all and my laptop never disconnects when the continuity camera on the iPhone kicks in.

Seems to be something in the RB4011, but I don't think I have the radio/networking kung fu to figure it out... Anything in the RB4011 specs that could be causing this, given its older hardware than the cAP acs?

Thanks.

un9edsda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 am

Seems to be something in the RB4011, but I don't think I have the radio/networking kung fu to figure it out... Anything in the RB4011 specs that could be causing this, given its older hardware than the cAP acs?

Please read New User Pathway To Config Success and New User Posting For Assistance by @anav . If you intend to upgrade to 7.13 or newer (for decent performance boost on the cAP ac access points) than
Note: Upgrading, when WIFI is involved is to 7.13 and beyond is best done through netinstall, otherwise you need to go through 7.12 first and then 7.13 or beyond (by normal upgrad process).
and read the step by step guide on how to do it on the cAP ac in order to avoid any unpleasantness. You may want to go through the new Wi-Fi documentation too.

Kentzo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:44 am

Can you see the disconnection reason in the RouterOS logs?