Community discussions

MikroTik App

tinodj
Topic Author

Provisioning not respecting name-format setting when provisioning local interfaces

Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:12 pm

Capsman is running on cAP AX, newest 7.13.2 ROS.

When own/local radios are set to local provisioning, they get provisioned through the provisioning rules, however name-format setting is not applied. Radios are named wifi1 and wifi2 instead of for example: hostname-5G-wifi

here is the provisioning config:
/interface/wifi/provisioning/ print detail 
Flags: X - disabled 
 0   supported-bands=5ghz-a action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=cfg1 name-format="%I-5G-wifi" 

1   supported-bands=2ghz-n action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=cfg1 name-format="%I-2G-wifi" 
name-format works well with the remote CAPs.

Is this by design or is it some small bug?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Provisioning not respecting name-format setting when provisioning local interfaces

Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:05 pm

Local radios have (default) names before provisioning even starts, so they don't need (new) names on CAPsMAN device (unlike remote radios which don't exist on CAPsMAN until they get provisioned).

And since local radios exist as soon as driver is loaded, you can rename them (simply set different name on interface under /interface/wifi).

tinodj
Topic Author

Re: Provisioning not respecting name-format setting when provisioning local interfaces

Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:22 pm

Indeed. I was thinking about this. And setting local names to anything, after provisioning, they go back to wifi1 and wifi2 again. Of course I can go with create-enabled instead of create-dynamic-enabled, and then change the names easily, but I thought this might be something worth 'fixing'.

guipoletto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:33 pm

I've documented my struggles here: viewtopic.php?t=203374

i'm also of the opinion that this is something worth fixing

A- Interfaces "wifi1" and "wifi2" keep their local names (but become dynamic, and loose their previous index on /bridge, suggesting they are deleted and re-created with the same name)
B- Slave interfaces local to the controller are created with "MikroTik" prefix on first boot, and "Identity" on second boot (using %I wildcard)
C- on remote CAPs, the zeroth interface (master) has no numeric suffix, but the slaves have, making reading difficult (slaves count from 2)

Some of these could probably be mitigated with more wildcards:
%band would be interesting (unifying the provision for multi-band setups, good for future-proofing)
%SSID or %VLAN would also be very useful

mostly, i'd like a consistent naming scheme so that i can follow a station on capsman/registration without loosing my mind

tinodj
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:48 pm

A- Interfaces "wifi1" and "wifi2" keep their local names (but become dynamic, and loose their previous index on /bridge, suggesting they are deleted and re-created with the same name)
struggle with this "loosing from bridge" ate me 3 hours head banging and left me with 3 hours sleep less.

guipoletto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:07 am

struggle with this "loosing from bridge" ate me 3 hours head banging and left me with 3 hours sleep less.

This would be more of a problem with configuration.mode=local OR capsman (where you want the "local" interfaces to belong to the bridge when capsman is offline)
when provisioning with mode=capsman, "capsman-only", the proper way is defining the correct bridge in the datapath

it would be a lot clearer to all involved if the deleted-then-recreated interfaces followed Capsman naming conventions when caps-managed