Community discussions

MikroTik App

Malvineous
just joined
Topic Author

NetPower 16P - PoE functionality questions

Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:46 am

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a NetPower 16P for a remote site but I have a few of questions about its functionality. Looking at the documentation it looks like it can do what I would like, but I just want to confirm in case I'm misreading anything.
  1. Can the PoE ports be individually power cycled to remotely reboot devices? Will the power come back on automatically if I power cycle the device I am using for the remote connection? The PoE docs seem to suggest this is only possible with the "power cycle ping" feature, but it is not possible to power cycle a port manually. (e.g. you can turn the power off to your modem but then you get disconnected so you cannot type in the command to turn the power back on again.) I wonder if the power can be turned on/off via the REST API? Then at least I could configure one of the on-site devices to issue the on/off commands instead.
  2. How fine grained are the PoE current measurements? The docs suggest individual port monitoring is possible in RouterOS, but I'd like to confirm this feature is available on the NetPower 16P. The docs also don't say whether the mA value reported has a precision of 1 mA, 10 mA, 100 mA, etc.
  3. Does the device report how much current it uses itself, or can it only report the power use of the PoE ports?
  4. Is the power consumed by any connected SFP+ transceivers reported?
  5. Does it support having all its LEDs turned off? The docs suggest no, but they don't list any outdoor devices at all so I'm not sure if that means it's unsupported, or they just haven't added any outdoor devices to the list yet.
Many thanks!
Last edited by Malvineous on Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: NetPower 16P - PoE functionality questions  [SOLVED]

Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:43 pm

1. Yes they can. There's a 'Power Cycle' button on each interface with which you can manually power cycle any individual port/device. You can set for how many seconds will the power be cut off and then come back on to make sure the device is properly power drained during the power cycle.
Even if you get disconnected, the power still comes back online after the defined seconds.
I haven't used this feature via API, but it most likely is available.

2. The measurements are in the mA range and it has 1mA precision.

3. Yes. It measures 2 different currents in the Amps range (100mA precision), one for the 24V power supply and one for the 48V power supply. It also measures the total PoE Out consumption in Watts.

4. Not that I am aware of.

5. There's a setting in the System > LED > Settings menu that says "All LEDs Off -> Immediate", but I haven't used it so I don't know if that actually turns all LEDs off. All my netPower units are in remote areas so I cannot verify it for you.

Malvineous
just joined
Topic Author

Re: NetPower 16P - PoE functionality questions

Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:07 pm

That's fantastic, thanks so much for completely answering all my questions!