Community discussions

MikroTik App

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Suggested change to CAPSMAN - channel handling

Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:22 am

I was desperately hoping that the new CAPSMAN implementation would fix my biggest gripe with it, alas no such luck
And that is the needless mess and doubling up of configurations SOLELY because of channels, it's not simple nor neat. As soon as you want any sort of control over channels - as is the case when using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios - you need to double up your configurations (triple up once 6ghz gets released)

It is broadly accepted that 2.4ghz operate on 20mhz wide channels, and 5ghz operate on 20/40mhz and you limit certain frequencies. Yet the only way to do this is with multiple provisioning and configuration entries. I chalked that up to CAPSMAN not originally being conceived with multiple radio chips in mind. Yet it's been redesigned and it still operates this way. Why?
Every other controller i've ever seen makes it very simple by simply letting you define separate 2.4ghz/5ghz/6ghz channels/widths in the same config and applies it to the appropriate radio

I suggest adding 'Supported Bands' to Channels, making this a multi-choice option and then changing the 'Channel' option in configuration to allow multiple entries
I.e. something like this
So I could tick 2.4 B/G/N/AX and create another 5.0ghz option along the same lines. Select both in the 1 configuration entry and i'm done. Not having to double up on every Configuration and Provisioning entry. It gets ridiculous when you have 100+ rooms with unique SSID's to manage