MikroTik App

antoniocerasuolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

hap ax2 -> wifi 2ghz vs 5 ghz

Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:31 am

hi,

I just got my brand new hap ax2 which i configured yesterday and very strangely I had to factory reset to get into the device because it wouldn't take the standard " no password" for admin.

but anyhow that is not why i'm writing, i just found it strange but I'm typing this while connected and also smart working from home through the mikrotik router just fine!

it seems that the 2GHZ wifi is capped at around 80 MB where the 5 GHZ wifi is going to speeds such as 400 MB.

can someone please explain why this is happening? is there some config element to be changed?

regards,
Antonio

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: hap ax2 -> wifi 2ghz vs 5 ghz

Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 am

1. password is written on the sticker of the device, as is clarified in the paper included with the device
2. 2GHz is very susceptible to interference, if you have Bluetooth devices in your house, even microwave, even if the neighbor is using a 2GHz wifi device, this will drastically reduce your speed. Just use 5GHz whenever you can

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am

I doubt that was a simple factory reset because then you still would have to use the passwd sticker ? Wasn't it netinstall you did ?

2GHz on that device can go to ... 400Mb.
IF ... free of interference, correct setup and proper testing setup (not testing WITH the device but testing THROUGH the device).

5GHz can go to 700Mb, sometimes even more.
Same prerequisites.

antoniocerasuolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am

Hi Guru,Mikrotik,

thank you!

I'm sorry i didn't specify but all my speed tests were done with my iphone which were giving those reading i mentioned above.

Am just now testing wifi on my laptops and you're right the 2GHz wiffi is giving pretty good speeds on my laptops.

but here is the issue now:

I have 3 wifi networks ;
SSID for 2GHZ network
SSID for 5GHZ network
SSID for guests based off of the 2 GHZ network

I can see all 3 SSIDs broadcasted fine on my iPhone but neither of my laptops are picking up the SSID for the 5 GHZ network.

any ideas why this is happening?

ciao,
Antonio

antoniocerasuolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:42 am

Hi,

I just restarted one of my laptops and is now seeing the 5 GHZ SSID and connected

I can't restart the second one because i'm connected and working.

but will retry this evening when i can shut down after work.

In any case this is strange, why should i have to restart my laptop to be able to view this SSID?

ciao,
Antonio

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:45 am

5GHZ access points need some time to start showing up, since, due to country regulations, they need to scan and see if there aren't any military radars nearby. This can take up to 10 minutes sometimes. So avoid rebooting your AP often.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:45 am

Another possible reason:
It can be the 5GHz radio is using a frequency which your client device can not use (especially in the higher channels which AX2 can use without any problem).
Set the frequency manually so you are sure where it is.
Also use the Scan or Frequency Usage function on the AX2 radio to see which frequencies are least used in your environment.
(don't do that when being connected to that same radio or you will loose connection)

antoniocerasuolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:49 am

hi Guru,

for the 5 GHZ config when i set it up the config didn't present any issues, but when i configured the 2GHZ it was showing "need channel" error so i figured I would need to create a channel entry and associated it to the 2 GHZ and it worked.

but as of now i still don't have a channel entry for the 5 GHZ , and as mentioned my ASUS ROG is now picking it up fine and my iphone never had any issue as mentioned, only myu HP elitebook is not picking it up at the moment.

anyhow should i also specify a channel entry for the 5 GHZ as well?? maybe that will stabilize it?

running also a scan of course to check what my neighbors are doing :-)

ciao,
Antonio

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:36 pm

Setting frequency is done in the channel tab.
As well as band (usually AX for that device) and channel width (leave unselected for max possible width).
If you go to the status tab of that wifi interface, you can see which frequency currently is selected.
You can also use some sort of wifi scanner on phone or laptop (I use Wifi Analyzer on laptop and smartphone, same name but different developers).

Check what the capabilities are of wifi card in your HP Elitebook.
My previous laptop could not handle the higher frequencies of my AX2 or AX3 either. I had to change the frequency to a lower channel.

antoniocerasuolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:05 pm

hi guru,

i tweaked it a little bit and now my hp is picking up the 5 GHZ!

i set the frequency manually to 5500 and now working fine!

for the 2 GHZ I just set the channel width but didn't set any frequency manually.

I set 2GHZ N should that be ok?

ciao,
Antonio

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:24 pm

2GHz, use AX as well.

antoniocerasuolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:24 pm

ok will do thanks!!

will need to wait til i shut down ,otherwise i guess my network will go down.. will do it this evening!!

thanks!