Community discussions

MikroTik App

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Any plans for spectrum analyzer on new wifi6 products?

Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:54 pm

Seeing the new NetBox 5 AX gives some hope for actually using MikroTik again as an outdoor wireless provider. However without spectrum scanning capability it is completely pointless as you're just playing 'guess a frequency' at random, hoping and praying with zero direction. Every other outdoor player has spectrum scanning capability because its about as essential of a tool as a RJ45 crimper....

Are there any plans for this to be implemented in the future?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Any plans for spectrum analyzer on new wifi6 products?

Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:38 pm

... as essential of a tool as a RJ45 crimper....

What's wrong with prefabricated UTP patch cables? :wink:

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:44 pm

... as essential of a tool as a RJ45 crimper....

What's wrong with prefabricated UTP patch cables? :wink:
Yeah super convenient running those up towers, through wall cavities, conduits and risers etc. Very convenient, especially with the 20m of coiled excess on the roof
I suppose whilst we're at it we may as well do the same level of work by just deploying some outdoor wireless gear on any ole frequency without doing a spectrum scan.... oh wait....

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:11 pm

I thought that professionals had a (self-standing) spectrum analyzer device as a common tool in their toolbox (rather that relying on whatever is built in the device they are installing), just like the rj45 crimper (I am not familiar with any AP/router/switch coming with a built-in crimper).
It would be a very handy feature for home users, though.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:26 pm

I thought that professionals had a (self-standing) spectrum analyzer device as a common tool in their toolbox (rather that relying on whatever is built in the device they are installing),
That's the thing... having the device be able to report what it sees is pretty useful. Particularly for remote trouble shooting.

Like right now... I am logged into a Bar about 200 miles away. They are complaining about connectivity.
VPN to my Tik on site. Then open the GUI of the XV2-23T on their patio. I can see that their UNIF--K wireless access point is only visible on channel 11. In the center of the patio there are NO 5Ghz radios transmitting their SSID. I can also see the 70 other networks tying up the 2.4 spectrum.

I told the Point of Sales guys that they could either A: Let me carry their wireless clients for them. Or B... they need to put something 5Ghz out here on the Patio.

And I have that answer a whole lot faster than sending our tech with the analyzer.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:41 pm

I see :) , definitely useful for (remote) maintenance, not so much for installation.

A remote RJ45 crimper might be useful, though. :wink:

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:48 pm

And the older Atheros wifi chips did include a spectrum analyzer, so it's really a remove feature ;). But even with the older drivers/devices, the ARM chips never support a SA... So not hopeful we'll see one.

But be curious to see how the new outdoor AX stuff plays out. I'm sure be fine for basic Wi-Fi. However, Mikrotik has never sold me on their wireless PtP links. Other vendors seem to have a better handle on the tooling/config to make PtP wireless easier than MT. On RouterOS, there's a lot of Wi-Fi settings... but no data/tools to know what to set or what's going on. e.g. AX's client stats show just signal level... but for a wireless backhaul I'd like to know more than the RSSI. And the older AC drivers told you more.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:16 pm

But be curious to see how the new outdoor AX stuff plays out. I'm sure be fine for basic Wi-Fi.
The beating I took over their last generation of Basic WiFi...

It made me way better at bug hunting. And when Mikrotik copped to the fact that they could not fix the issues and would get back to me when they could... that email is 5??? years old now!

Thankfully... I found another manufacture who is willing/able to fix issues I bring to them.

Mikrotik routing... but gotta go elsewhere for client serving WiFi.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:33 pm

Mikrotik routing... but gotta go elsewhere for client serving WiFi.
LOL. I didn't say "great" ;). But Mikrotik is trying to resolve them it seems.

It was more long-range PtP link cases I was think about. Cynically, think someone may hit more problem BEFORE even getting to needing a spectrum analyzer at this point ;). I don't go up on the towers myself, but the last thing I'd want to have to do is going through all the numerous winbox menus for AX setup...while 10+ meters off the ground...to then not be able read about the link to tweak it.

The bright side is the new AX outdoor devices do have >16MB of disk, so running of space when upgrading is less of a concern.

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:51 pm

I thought that professionals had a (self-standing) spectrum analyzer device as a common tool in their toolbox (rather that relying on whatever is built in the device they are installing), just like the rj45 crimper (I am not familiar with any AP/router/switch coming with a built-in crimper).
It would be a very handy feature for home users, though.
Wireless conditions change constantly. A spectral scan at the time of install is utterly worthless over the lifetime of the device. Additional radio's go up and start interfering on your once-clean channel, your speeds plummet with a lot of packet loss, higher latency due to retransmissions etc. You have zero visibility of this on MikroTik so you are just guessing what the problem is, and you're also guessing what frequency to move to

Spectrum analyzer on the device itself is often more useful for the above reason, but also because you often use a directional antenna not an omni
I'm not interested in neighboring signal levels on a 360 degree scan, there may be huge interference from behind the radio but the dish can be 'deaf' to the vast majority of that noise, thus effectively a clean channel in the direction its pointing. This is evident when doing a scan on the device itself, but completely different if doing it with another device in proximity using an omni antenna