Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ecoxme
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik AP/CPE that could work in following environment

Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:46 am

Hi, I am quite new I the MikroTik space. I got my RB5009UPr+S+IN due to its very good reviews, my first looks at routerOS with it's various configuration possibilities and since I needed a router with Poe out and sfp+ port since I wanted to replace the Deutsche Telekom fiber router consumer stuff.
Situation
Since I didn't want to throw away my old stuff there is are two different WiFi APs connected to it as well as several other fixed line devices. While I got one of the APs covering indoors the other one was more or less an outdoor back haul station for another wifi AP some 350 m away. For both I had a wavlink ax1800 (Dualband - 4 antennas - 2/5Ghz H/V -maybe not the best choice but I had good experience when I set up APs from this manufacturer at a friend's place). To get a better directed signal towards the 350m away AP I replaced the omnidirectional antennas with a dual band 10dbi sectorial antenna from interlane and 4 antenna connectors.
breakdown of the existing system
It worked almost smoothly, the only issue that I had was with the power supply of the back haul station. First I just used their passive Poe injectors but it suddenly died when we snapped out and in again the rj45 cable when we did some changes to the mounting, sent it back and got a new one (I was told there was faulty part inside). Again first it worked with the passive Poe injector, however I wanted to use the devices since there is actually only one power outlet. so first I just plugged it in a zyxel Poe switch that I had left and changed the location of the AP. After a few tries it finally worked and it was running on an active 48V Poe switch. Then I finally received my mikrotik router (using the 48V DC power supply ) and took the cable from the zyxel switch and plugged it in the MikroTik router. Orange led was coming up for 5s, but then was switched of for a second only to come back up. This repeated a couple of times but never was there a data connection set up. I looked into router OS and were receiving quite some messages about "voltage to low".
looking for what could be the issue
First I thought it was a mikrotik issue and went through this forum. There was a thread about an issue with the Poe out but it was more about having the right power supply used (24V vs 48V). Since both APs officially need 48V active PoE and I had the 48V power supply connected that should have worked. however, when I got to the wavlink back haul station I saw the same issue I saw before - no led, nothing happens even after connecting to the provided passive Poe injector. So I realized it was again a faulty part on the wavlink side. Now I am quite annoyed about the same issue coming up. I think the issue is that it is their first device that is not using 24V passive Poe and they dimensioned something wrong for the 48V active/57V passive.
looking for a solution from mikrotik and questions
Nevertheless, I was thinking of replacing it with a mikrotik AP/CPE device, but I was a little overwhelmed what I actually need and whether this exists or not. I still want to use the 4 connector interlane antenna since the reception was ok, and I want to use the MikroTik Poe out functionality of the router.
As I understand it correctly, you can only use 48V active Poe devices directly with the router, everything else 24V passive need an injector - is that correct? The MikroTik website said that it also supports 24 V Poe out but that isn't af/at Standard, right? And if I decide on using at least one standard compatible 48V AP,as I have it now, the other one has too? In that case all mikrotik devices like the method or the basebox fall short since they are supporting 24 V only?! Is there any mikrotik outdoor device supporting the af/at standard and having dual band with 4 antenna outlets (as I understand you could use a BaseBox 2 plus a R11e-5HacD but still both only support passive 24V Poe) or do I miss anything?
edit: just found this 48V active to 24V passive converter https://mikrotik.com/product/rbgpoe_con_hp, however is there also an outdoor version of it? And then this one mANTBox ax 15s could be a solution where I could throw away my interlane panel 10 antenna, right?

Sorry for so much text, just wanted to describe the situation in order for you to understand it better.
Best regards
Patrick