Community discussions

MikroTik App

TestyTerminal
just joined
Topic Author

CRS310-8G-2S+-IN realistic WAN/Internet expected throughput?

Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:39 pm

I've got this device and originally was thinking of putting this on a 2 gigabit fiber internet connection given all the 2.5G and 10G ports however it seems to struggle with my current cable internet ~600 Mbit connection however this may be due to my configuration with the firewall rules or other settings that I am still trying to understand. I generally maxes out at 550Mbit and then it slows down during speed tests, often to ~400Mbit, all to nearby speed test hosts including one from Spectrum, my provider. My TP-Link Wifi router gets better sustained throughput to my ISP which is officially 500Mbit but is over-provisioned and gets a rock sold 585Mbit/s rate.

I am just seeking a basic reality check before I put more effort into to the Mikrotik. My current and future setup will be pretty straightforward with a dhcp ISP WAN connection on eth1 and then 3-4 PCs and a Wifi router working in AP mode on another port. What kind of max throughput should I get to the internet? Can I expect ~2000Mbit internet speeds through the Mikrotik with a fiber connection rate as such?

Also, if there are any quick guides on a throughput-optimal firewall and bridge/lan/router settings in RouterOS for this level of device to link to, that'd be appreciated.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CRS310-8G-2S+-IN realistic WAN/Internet expected throughput?

Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:04 am

This is a switch with some routing capabilities.
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs310_8g_ ... estresults

The routing performance is on par with what you have seen.

It supports some basic hardware offloading for routing, but not for nat/fasttrack.

You should get a router to pair with your switch.

An rb5009 or ccr2004-16g-2s+ would be good choices.

TestyTerminal
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CRS310-8G-2S+-IN realistic WAN/Internet expected throughput?

Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:28 am

I guess I was naive - I was expecting this device to at least match a typical consumer device and run at gigabit speeds to the internet at least with uncomplicated settings (no fancy packet stuff).